June 3, 2003 - Inside Bay Area: Tonga RPCV Mary Beth Barloga retires in San Leandro after 32 years serving students

Peace Corps Online: Peace Corps News: Headlines: Peace Corps Headlines - 2003: June 2003 Peace Corps Headlines: June 3, 2003 - Inside Bay Area: Tonga RPCV Mary Beth Barloga retires in San Leandro after 32 years serving students

By Admin1 (admin) on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 2:35 pm: Edit Post

Tonga RPCV Mary Beth Barloga retires in San Leandro after 32 years serving students

Read and comment on this story from Inside Bay Area on Tonga RPCV Mary Beth Barloga who is retiring this year in San Leandro after 32 years serving students. At the time, Tonga was a "pre-developing" nation without electricity, and Barloga helped construct two schools there -- one from thatch and one from cinder blocks. Since then, Barloga has built a 32-year career as a teacher and principal in San Leandro schools. "Mary Beth has been an (educational) icon for many parents, students and educators in this town," according to parent Anna Badger. "She can still be optimistic at a time in education when things are not all that rosy." Read the story at:

Retiring San Leandro principal spent 32 years serving students, helped pioneer outdoor education classes*

* This link was active on the date it was posted. PCOL is not responsible for broken links which may have changed.

Retiring San Leandro principal spent 32 years serving students, helped pioneer outdoor education classes

By Jason Bono, STAFF WRITER

THE San Leandro school district seemed overwhelming in its wealth of resources when Mary Beth Barloga first became a teacher here in 1971.

She was coming from two years with the Peace Corps in the Kingdom of Tonga, a nation of 117 islands in Western Polynesia. At the time, Tonga was a "pre-developing" nation without electricity, and Barloga helped construct two schools there -- one from thatch and one from cinder blocks, she said.

Since then, Barloga has built a 32-year career as a teacher and principal in San Leandro schools. She plans to retire this month.

"Mary Beth has been an (educational) icon for many parents, students and educators in this town," according to parent Anna Badger. "She can still be optimistic at a time in education when things are not all that rosy."

Barloga will finish her fifth school year as principal at Bancroft Middle School. She previously was principal at Roosevelt Elementary, and taught at Roosevelt, Monroe and the former Cleveland Elementary.

She was named the district's administrator of the year and received a regional merit award from the Bay Area School Leadership Cen- ter. Barloga also led Roose- velt to recognition twice as a California Distinguished School and once as a National Blue Ribbon School finalist.

Highlights of her career include her early endeavors into outdoor education and "living history" as a teacher, Barloga said.

She and her colleagues took large groups of students on camping trips to places such as Santa Cruz and Yosemite, where they would "wake up with raccoon prints on their pillows," before outdoor education businesses became commonplace.

Barloga also led activities where students "lived history." For example, she once helped turn Casa Peralta into old-time San Leandro, where students dressed and played historic parts.

Mary Beth Barloga came to the San Leandro school district after two years with the Peace Corps in the Kingdom of Tonga, a nation of 117 islands in Western Polynesia.

"I hope we don't just go to filling in bubbles to find out what kids know," Barloga said. "I wouldn't want my grandchildren in that kind of school."

According to teachers and administrators, Barloga has brought her pioneering approach into her work as an administrator. She has worked closely with the Bay Area School Reform Collaborative to help close the achievement gap with the hope that "your ZIP code won't determine your SAT score."

Barloga's enthusiasm was a major reason that Maureen Forney and her family moved years ago to their neighborhood near Bancroft and Roosevelt Elementary. Forney is now a teacher at Bancroft, and her daughter Amelia is an eighth-grader at the school.

"Mary Beth is awfully ambitious, and she has a lot of ideas," said Forney. "It's sometimes hard to keep up.

"To me, working with a principal who encourages innovation and change is like a dream come true," she added. "That's what I'll miss most about Mary Beth."

Past and present students also speak appreciative words about Barloga.

Linda Granger now works as an administrator in the school district's educational services department. But, years ago, Barloga was Granger's teacher at Roosevelt Elementary School.

Granger remembers Barloga as the caring and "cool" teacher to whom all students wanted to be assigned.

"Now, I see what incredible dedication to the district and students and community she has, and I want to model myself in the same path," Granger said.

Bancroft sixth-grader D'Juan Woolridge looks back over a shorter period to when he started this school year as the new kid on the block. Barloga took the time to show him around and get him off on the right footing.

"After a kid threw my shoe in the toilet and did one and two on it, she gave me a pair of shoes," he said. "Most people wouldn't even bother. I think she's a really nice person."

Jason Bono covers schools. He can be reached at (510) 293-2479 or at jbono@ang-

newspapers.com .

Click on a link below for more stories on PCOL

6/4/03
Main Sections
PCOL Magazine
Breaking News
One World
Peace Corps Library

Directory Sign Up

Volunteer Directory
RPCVs by COS
RPCVs by State
RPCVs by Interest
Recent Headlines
RPCV helps hospital in Ethiopia 4 June
Peace Corps welcomed back to Botswana 2 June
RPCV heads Washington State DOT 30 May
Peace Corps did not close program in China 29 May
RPCVs fight deportation of former Somali ally 28 May
Volunteer finds Uzbekistan safe during war 27 May
Thomas Tighe honored at Hobart and Smith 27 May
RPCV builds Multi-cultural Art Center in Portland 26 May
RPCV Poet Don Wilsun dies in Seattle 26 May
Shrivers celebrate 50th Anniversary 23 May
Bush announces "Volunteers for Prosperity" 21 May
Presidential Candidate calls for 25,000 Volunteers 19 May
Special Sections
Advocacy
Bulletin Board
Cartoons
Congress
Directors
Headlines
History
Humor
Laws
Local RPCV Groups
Lost RPCVs
Master Index
NPCA
Obituaries
PCVs
Photography
RPCVs
Recruitment
Return to COS
Safety of PCVs
Service
Speaking Out
Stories
The Third Goal
Training
US Peace Corps
USA Freedom Corps
PCOL Magazine - June 2003 Issue
Free Speech at the Peace Corps?
Peace Corps to add 1,000 volunteers in AIDS/HIV
Alcohol Abuse a big issue for Volunteers in Central Asia
Returned Volunteers honor Jack Vaughn
Op-ed: The Future of the Peace Corps
A Russian Peace Corps?

Recent Feature Stories
Watch Director Vasquez on web tv
Shays says aid organizations curtailed in Iraq
Op-ed: US has obligations in Iraq says RPCV

Special Reports
Exclusive: How RPCVs organized anti-war Ad
Improvements needed in Volunteer Support
From Russia with Love
Health Concerns: The Controversy over Lariam
GAO Reports on PCV Safety and Security
PC/Washington: Senior Staff Appointments at PC HQ
PC Expansion: The Numbers Game?
Op-ed: Why Peace Corps needs Shriver's 4th Goal
When should PC return to Afghanistan?
RPCV Spy dies in Moscow
Op-ed: The Case for Peace Corps Independence
USA Freedom Corps paved with good intentions
more special reports ...

Some postings on Peace Corps Online are provided to the individual members of this group without permission of the copyright owner for the non-profit purposes of criticism, comment, education, scholarship, and research under the "Fair Use" provisions of U.S. Government copyright laws and they may not be distributed further without permission of the copyright owner. Peace Corps Online does not vouch for the accuracy of the content of the postings, which is the sole responsibility of the copyright holder.

This story has been posted in the following forums: : Headlines; COS - Tonga; Secondary Education

PCOL5053

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: