FECA, Peace Corps Safety and Health

Peace Corps Online: Peace Corps News: Library: Peace Corps: Legislation : Legislation: June 22, 2004: Headlines: Congress: Legislation: PCOL Exclusive: Report from the Senate's Peace Corps Safety Hearings : FECA, Peace Corps Safety and Health

By daniel (0-1pool152-108.nas16.somerville1.ma.us.da.qwest.net - on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 8:53 am: Edit Post

The same media attention that was given to safety and security issues should be brought forward for FECA Benefits or Volunteers who now have disabilities because of there Service.

As we have written, many GAO reports have been written, Peace Corps on line published a piece on this web site about Sara Evans ( it generated one of the longest discussions on the site I have seen), and there are thousands more,approximately five thousand to ten thousand former volunteers in America today don't have coverage due to a service related injury.

Anybody who has health or safety issues with Peace Corps or FECA problems should call Senator Norm Coleman at 202-224-3121 ask for Lori Ann Woodrow.

The hill staffers think this problem has been "taken care of" according to a hill staffer. Remember, when the medical staff are rude or don't answewer your phone calls, you are the one's not "being taken care of". Remember the staff people at the department of Labor who farm your case out to an insurance case and then deny your benefits, "you are not being taken care of". The fact is that it has never been taken care of and needs to be looked at by Congress with real scrutiny.

They told us the Security issue was taken care of in 1999 and 2000. It was not true. Look at what the DDN discovered 2,800 cases of volunteers who had been counted but not served correctly. They are not telling the truth about FECA and disabilities and medical conditions either. The Hill staffers are listening to people like Steve Weinberg, who are not helping volunteers. Instead, they tell hill staffer's there is no problem, so there secure job is not scrutinized for programming issues.

You should also post you health situation on the web site hear. You can do it anonomymously.

call 202-224-3121

or call separated peace corps veterans at 978-462-3868.

Lets get health care, rehabilitation, and the rights we deserve due to our service with Peace Corps.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.