September 21, 2004: Headlines: Senior Staff: Election2004 - Bush: Clarke Times Courier: "I'm passionate about re-electing George W. Bush on Nov. 2," said Paul Jhin, who currently holds the post of director of planning, policy and analysis with the Peace Corps.

Peace Corps Online: Peace Corps News: Peace Corps Library: Election2004: Election2004 - Archive of Previous Stories: September 21, 2004: Headlines: Senior Staff: Election2004 - Bush: Clarke Times Courier: "I'm passionate about re-electing George W. Bush on Nov. 2," said Paul Jhin, who currently holds the post of director of planning, policy and analysis with the Peace Corps.

By Admin1 (admin) (151.196.185.151) on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 1:46 pm: Edit Post

"I'm passionate about re-electing George W. Bush on Nov. 2," said Paul Jhin, who currently holds the post of director of planning, policy and analysis with the Peace Corps.

I'm passionate about re-electing George W. Bush on Nov. 2, said Paul Jhin, who currently holds the post of director of planning, policy and analysis with the Peace Corps.

"I'm passionate about re-electing George W. Bush on Nov. 2," said Paul Jhin, who currently holds the post of director of planning, policy and analysis with the Peace Corps.

Asians rally for Bush
By Frank Mustac
09/21/2004

With some of Northern Virginia's leading Republicans in attendance, about 600 GOP faithful mostly of Asian descent gathered at Edison High School in Alexandria last Saturday evening for a campaign rally in support of President George W. Bush's re-election bid.

U.S. Sen. George Allen (R), U.S. Reps. Tom Davis (R-11th) and Frank Wolf (R-10th) and Republican Party of Virginia Chairman Kate Obenshain Griffin, as well as several Bush administration political appointees of Asian descent, all lent their support to the event organized by the National Asian-American Republican Coalition in cooperation with about 13 minority Republican organizations.

"The Democrats like to claim they've got the ethnic vote locked up," Davis said. "This event just proves they don't."

"Like everybody else, [Asian-American voters] like to be wooed a little bit," said Davis, who, along with the vast majority of his colleagues in the House of Representatives, is running for re-election this year.

"We literally helped hundreds of them with immigration problems. It makes a difference," he said.

Asked what the Saturday event meant to him, Wolf said, "It shows the Republican Party is open and growing."

[Excerpt]

Paul Jhin, a McLean resident and former chairman of the National Asian-American Republican Coalition, delivered an impassioned exhortation on why he would be voting for the president come Election Day.

"I'm passionate about re-electing George W. Bush on Nov. 2," said Jhin, who currently holds the post of director of planning, policy and analysis with the Peace Corps.

"I believe George W. Bush will keep us safe and keep us dreaming the American Dream," said Jhin, a Korean American. "I want my children, their children and their children's children to live in that land of opportunity that you and I enjoy right now."

"He has appointed more Asian Americans than any other presidentómore than 200 Asian Americans to top-level positions," he said.

Jhin said he will vote for the president in part because he is defending the sanctity of marriage, is a champion for freedom in this country and around the world, and because he believes in fair international trade.

Bush is a strong education president, Jhin said, and a president who supports small businesses. Many Asian Americans are small business owners, he said.

Jhin said he will give his vote to Bush, who, he said, is a strong supporter of the country's military veterans. He blasted Bush's Democratic opponent, John Kerry, for the testimony Kerry gave before a congressional committee in the early 1970s criticizing U.S. policy in Vietnam.

"Whose side was he on? Our's or the enemy's?" Jhin asked rhetorically. "I don't want someone to be our next president who gave aid and comfort to our enemies."

Jhin concluded his remarks by leading the crowd in successive chants of "Four More Years," "Viva Bush" and "Win with Bush."

When this story was posted in October 2004, this was on the front page of PCOL:

Director Gaddi Vasquez:  The PCOL Interview Director Gaddi Vasquez: The PCOL Interview
PCOL sits down for an extended interview with Peace Corps Director Gaddi Vasquez. Read the entire interview from start to finish and we promise you will learn something about the Peace Corps you didn't know before.

Plus the debate continues over Safety and Security.
Schwarzenegger praises PC at Convention Schwarzenegger praises PC at Convention
Governor Schwarzenegger praised the Peace Corps at the Republican National Convention: "We're the America that sends out Peace Corps volunteers to teach village children." Schwarzenegger has previously acknowledged his debt to his father-in-law, Peace Corps Founding Director Sargent Shriver, for teaching him "the joy of public service" and Arnold is encouraging volunteerism by creating California Service Corps and tapping his wife, Maria Shriver, to lead it. Leave your comments and who can come up with the best Current Events Funny?
 Peace Corps: One of the Best Faces of America Peace Corps: One of the Best Faces of America
Teresa Heinz Kerry celebrates the Peace Corps Volunteer as one of the best faces America has ever projected in a speech to the Democratic Convention. The National Review disagreed and said that Heinz's celebration of the PCV was "truly offensive." What's your opinion and can you come up with a Political Funny?

Read the stories and leave your comments.

Some postings on Peace Corps Online are provided to the individual members of this group without permission of the copyright owner for the non-profit purposes of criticism, comment, education, scholarship, and research under the "Fair Use" provisions of U.S. Government copyright laws and they may not be distributed further without permission of the copyright owner. Peace Corps Online does not vouch for the accuracy of the content of the postings, which is the sole responsibility of the copyright holder.

Story Source: Clarke Times Courier

This story has been posted in the following forums: : Headlines; Senior Staff; Election2004 - Bush

PCOL13993

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: