S - Other Topics
Peace Corps Online:
Peace Corps News:
Peace Corps Library:
S - Other Topics
- Want to have contact with any volunteer teacher from usa Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 4:17 am 
- 2006.03.20: March 20, 2006: Headlines: Spain: International Programs: Orlando Sentinel: Spain is planning to launch an ambitious volunteer service in the region fashioned after former President John F. Kennedy's Peace Corps Friday, June 16, 2006 - 8:01 pm 
- January 23, 2005: Index: PCOL Exclusive: S - Other Topics (2 of 3) Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 8:57 pm 
- January 23, 2005: Index: PCOL Exclusive: S - Other Topics (3 of 3) Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 8:56 pm 
S - Other Topics (1 of 3)
S - Other Topics (1 of 3)
- Saudi Arabia: The consul general, Gina Abercrombie-Winstanley, helped herd staff into secure locations within the consulate building. "She was very much in the middle of it -- in the front lines, as they say," Ereli told reporters. "She heard gunfire near her office, and she is one of the officials, one of the members of the consulate general staff, who took the kind of smart, decisive, quick action, I think, that helped save lives." 7 December 2004
When this story was posted in January 2005, this was on the front page of PCOL:
| Ask Not|
As our country prepares for the inauguration of a President, we remember one of the greatest speeches of the 20th century and how his words inspired us. "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."
| Latest: RPCVs and Peace Corps provide aid |
Peace Corps made an appeal last week to all Thailand RPCV's to consider serving again through the Crisis Corps and more than 30 RPCVs have responded so far. RPCVs: Read what an RPCV-led NGO is doing about the crisis an how one RPCV is headed for Sri Lanka to help a nation he grew to love. Question: Is Crisis Corps going to send RPCVs to India, Indonesia and nine other countries that need help?
| The World's Broken Promise to our Children|
Former Director Carol Bellamy, now head of Unicef, says that the appalling conditions endured today by half the world's children speak to a broken promise. Too many governments are doing worse than neglecting children -- they are making deliberate, informed choices that hurt children. Read her op-ed and Unicef's report on the State of the World's Children 2005.
| Our debt to Bill Moyers|
Former Peace Corps Deputy Director Bill Moyers leaves PBS next week to begin writing his memoir of Lyndon Baines Johnson. Read what Moyers says about journalism under fire, the value of a free press, and the yearning for democracy. "We have got to nurture the spirit of independent journalism in this country," he warns, "or we'll not save capitalism from its own excesses, and we'll not save democracy from its own inertia."
| Is Gaddi Leaving?|
Rumors are swirling that Peace Corps Director Vasquez may be leaving the administration. We think Director Vasquez has been doing a good job and if he decides to stay to the end of the administration, he could possibly have the same sort of impact as a Loret Ruppe Miller. If Vasquez has decided to leave, then Bob Taft, Peter McPherson, Chris Shays, or Jody Olsen would be good candidates to run the agency. Latest: For the record, Peace Corps has no comment on the rumors.
| The Birth of the Peace Corps|
UMBC's Shriver Center and the Maryland Returned Volunteers hosted Scott Stossel, biographer of Sargent Shriver, who spoke on the Birth of the Peace Corps. This is the second annual Peace Corps History series - last year's speaker was Peace Corps Director Jack Vaughn.
Read the stories and leave your comments.
Some postings on Peace Corps Online are provided to the individual members of this group without permission of the copyright owner for the non-profit purposes of criticism, comment, education, scholarship, and research under the "Fair Use" provisions of U.S. Government copyright laws and they may not be distributed further without permission of the copyright owner. Peace Corps Online does not vouch for the accuracy of the content of the postings, which is the sole responsibility of the copyright holder.
Story Source: PCOL Exclusive
This story has been posted in the following forums: : Index