|United for Peace and Justice (18.104.22.168)
|Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 4:59 pm: |
The World STILL Says No to War!
Global Day of Action Against War and Occupation
Saturday, March 20
Anti-war groups throughout the United States and around the globe will take to the streets on Saturday March 20, the one-year anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, under the banner "The World Still Says No to War." Over 150 protests are planned in cities across the United States, from Alaska to Florida, Hawaii to Maine, calling for an end to the occupation of Iraq. Similar demonstrations will take place on every continent in the world, making March 20 a global day of coordinated action in the spirit of last year's historic February 15 protests.
In New York City, tens of thousands from throughout the Northeast will converge in Midtown Manhattan for a march and rally in the heart of the city's busiest shopping district. People will gather on Madison Avenue stretching north from 23rd Street beginning at noon. For more details, see http://www.unitedforpeace.org/nyc
Other major March 20 protests in the U.S. include a march and rally in Fayetteville, North Carolina, home to Ft. Bragg, which will prominently feature military families and veterans opposed to the Iraq war and occupation. Caravans from throughout the state of Texas will converge on President George W. Bush's hometown of Crawford, for an anti-war parade and rally.
United for Peace and Justice is a national coalition with nearly 800 groups under its umbrella. Since its founding in October 2002, UFPJ has spurred hundreds of protests and rallies around the country, including the two largest demonstrations against the Iraq war. For additional information see http://www.unitedforpeace.org.
* Find out about March 20 activities in your community at
* Join the March 20 day of action! List your community's event on the United for Peace and Justice website at:
* Visit our website for leaflets that can be adapted for use in any community planning a March 20 event: http://www.unitedforpeace.org/mar20
* Get the most up-to-date logistical information about the regional demonstration in NYC on March 20 at http://www.unitedforpeace.org/nyc
* Join our action alerts list for once-a-week updates on the March 20 mobilization and other peace and justice activities:
* Support the March 20 mobilization by making a contribution at