|By Admin1 (admin) on Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 3:04 pm: Edit Post|
- There are amazing people and things out there to be experienced in the Peace Corps in Burundi like - -
There are amazing people and things out there to be experienced in the Peace Corps in Burundi like - -
There are amazing people and things out there to be experienced like-
* Hearing an old man sing local legends for the price of a beer
* Tasting fried termites on a dare in a Bujumbura market
* Learning that in Burundi business conversations began SLOWLY with ritual inquiries about health and family
* Seeing my first Cape Buffalo
* Crossing a crocodile- and hippo-infested river
* Riding a huge dugout canoe rowed by people who couldn't swim
* Meeting Jane Goodall in the Burundi airport
* Seeing the Pope
* Eating dinner in the house of a complete stranger and being invited to stay the night, too
* Going to a bar with the other volunteers who happened to be white males and having a prostitute ask me why couldn't I share them?
* Using a bathroom which was really a trough in the floor
* Petting and feeding a giraffe in Kenya
* Hitchhiking around Uganda and feeling completely safe
* Explaining I wasn't a snobby Tutsi or Hutu, just because I couldn't speak Kirundi
* Meeting other volunteers who became lifelong friends
...Like realizing you can do just about anything you set your mind to.
...If you're open to the Peace Corps.
Click to go to the Peace Corps homepage.