July 26, 2003 - Independent Online: Mali RPCV Meghan Rita Vaughan dies in tragic NY accident

Peace Corps Online: Directory: Mali: Peace Corps Mali : The Peace Corps in Mali: July 26, 2003 - Independent Online: Mali RPCV Meghan Rita Vaughan dies in tragic NY accident

By Admin1 (admin) (pool-151-196-110-177.balt.east.verizon.net - 151.196.110.177) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 6:20 pm: Edit Post

Mali RPCV Meghan Rita Vaughan dies in tragic NY accident

Read and comment on this obituary from the Independent on Mali RPCV Meghan Rita Vaughan who died in a tragic NY accident on July 26, 2003.
Meg, as she was known to all, recently returned from Mali, West Africa where she served as a volunteer with the U.S. Peace Corps. A strong supporter of environment and conservation issues, Meg worked as a Peace Corps volunteer in Sevare, Mali (near Timbuktu) in a natural resource project. She told the Peace Corps, “The environment is so important, and I am a strong believer in preserving the present for the future.”

In Meg’s aspiration statement submitted in early January to the Peace Corps, she wrote: “I hope to grow and become a more accomplished person. Many people ask, why are you doing this? My answer is simple: I have always wanted to give back and this is the perfect way to do this. Personally, I hope to make a difference in someone else’s life, as well as mine.”
Our condolences to the family and friends of Meghan Vaughan on behalf of the Returned Volunteer community. Read the obituary at:

Meghan Rita Vaughan, 24*

* This link was active on the date it was posted. PCOL is not responsible for broken links which may have changed.

Meghan Rita Vaughan, 24

Meghan Rita Vaughan, daughter of Dr. B. James and Susan Vaughan of 28 Hedge Row Lane in East Hampton, died in the early hours of Saturday morning at her brother’s apartment in Brooklyn Heights, NY, as a result of injuries sustained in a tragic accident.

Meg, as she was known to all, recently returned from Mali, West Africa where she served as a volunteer with the U.S. Peace Corps. Born in Smithtown, LI on March 7, 1979, Meg was raised in East Hampton and was a 1998 graduate of East Hampton High School. She continued her education at Marist College in Poughkeepsie, NY from which she graduated in May 2002 with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science.

A strong supporter of environment and conservation issues, Meg worked as a Peace Corps volunteer in Sevare, Mali (near Timbuktu) in a natural resource project. She told the Peace Corps, “The environment is so important, and I am a strong believer in preserving the present for the future.”

She was passionate about animals in general, and horses in particular, and she spent much of her 24 years participating in everything equestrian, including instructing young riders. Meg was a frequent participant in horse shows around the country, including the Hampton Classic, where she was short stirrup champion in 1990. Her favorite horse of five years was a male chestnut thoroughbred J. Crew (a.k.a. Ollie).

Erica Walter, one of Meg’s closest friends and the person with whom she spent her last four days in Rhode Island, has said, “She was the best friend that one could ever have and I loved her very much.”

In Meg’s aspiration statement submitted in early January to the Peace Corps, she wrote: “I hope to grow and become a more accomplished person. Many people ask, why are you doing this? My answer is simple: I have always wanted to give back and this is the perfect way to do this. Personally, I hope to make a difference in someone else’s life, as well as mine.”

Meg leaves behind hundreds of close friends and numerous family members including aunts, uncles, cousins, and her paternal grandparents Mr. and Mrs. Berry Vaughan of Missoula, Montana and her maternal grandmother Mrs. Anne Iberger of Port Jefferson. Most special to her was her beloved brother Dr. Patrick Vaughan of Brooklyn.

In a February 4, 2003 letter Meg wrote home to her brother Pat, who was soon to be a graduate of SUNY Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine, “I am so proud of you. I love you all and miss you, but don’t be sad . . . like the people in this village say, I am a saint with a mission of peace and goodwill . . . I miss you guys but I have to look at the big picture: these people need me more than you . . . I love you . . . Write back . . . Meg.”

Her funeral was held this morning at Most Holy Trinity Catholic Church and interment was in the church cemetery. In lieu of flowers, the family is requesting that donations in the memory of Meghan be sent to: Elsa’s Ark, P.O. Box 2900, East Hampton, NY 11937 and the New York Horse Rescue, P.O. Box 435, Manorville, NY 11949.

Copyright © 2002 East Hampton Independent News Co.

All rights reserved.

Some postings on Peace Corps Online are provided to the individual members of this group without permission of the copyright owner for the non-profit purposes of criticism, comment, education, scholarship, and research under the "Fair Use" provisions of U.S. Government copyright laws and they may not be distributed further without permission of the copyright owner. Peace Corps Online does not vouch for the accuracy of the content of the postings, which is the sole responsibility of the copyright holder.

This story has been posted in the following forums: : Headlines; COS - Mali; Obituaries

PCOL8193

By Anonymous (static-64-61-106-211.isp.broadviewnet.net - 64.61.106.211) on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:44 am: Edit Post

I'm so sorry to becoming across this news. I was a friend of Patrick's a few years ago and lost touch. This is really sad to hear this story about his sister who I know he loved every much.

By Joseph Reilly (63.165.238.2) on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:39 pm: Edit Post

My heart sunk when I read this. I too was a friend of Patrick's nearly 20 years ago. I knew Meghan then as well... she was my brother John's age. I am so sorry for your loss Patrick and for your parent's loss as well. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: