January 3, 2004 - Wired: James Conway, a former Peace Corps volunteer, was working as a consultant to Tuvalu's minister of finance

Peace Corps Online: Directory: Tuvalu: The Peace Corps in Tuvalu: January 3, 2004 - Wired: James Conway, a former Peace Corps volunteer, was working as a consultant to Tuvalu's minister of finance

By Admin1 (admin) (pool-151-196-232-99.balt.east.verizon.net - 151.196.232.99) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 9:39 pm: Edit Post

James Conway, a former Peace Corps volunteer, was working as a consultant to Tuvalu's minister of finance

James Conway, a former Peace Corps volunteer, was working as a consultant to Tuvalu's minister of finance

James Conway, a former Peace Corps volunteer, was working as a consultant to Tuvalu's minister of finance when Ohashi's message came in. "Out of the fax came this note from a guy in New York proposing to help Tuvalu market .tv," he says. "I wasn't here so long that I hadn't heard about the Internet, but this one-page fax mentioned stuff like top-level domains and .tv. I was like, 'What is this person talking about?'"

What Ohashi was talking about was marketing .tv to broadcasters in the United States and Japan in return for a share of the take. All Tuvalu had to do was tell the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority that Ohashi had been appointed to handle .tv and he would begin setting up accounts. But as Conway recounts, "Nobody knew about .tv then, and we didn't follow it up."

Kim, in 1996 a Silicon Valley programmer, starred in the sequel. "I was scanning the list of ISO 3166 country codes, and I was like, 'Wow! TV!'" An online database, though, showed that IANA had given administrative authority for .tv to Andrew Rubin, manager of communications software for WebTV. But Kim noticed something he thought was strange: No .tv names were being sold. So he called Funafuti. "I got in touch with the finance secretary, and I said this guy Andrew Rubin is not maximizing your revenue. And he was like, 'Who is Andrew Rubin?'"

Some postings on Peace Corps Online are provided to the individual members of this group without permission of the copyright owner for the non-profit purposes of criticism, comment, education, scholarship, and research under the "Fair Use" provisions of U.S. Government copyright laws and they may not be distributed further without permission of the copyright owner. Peace Corps Online does not vouch for the accuracy of the content of the postings, which is the sole responsibility of the copyright holder.

Story Source: Wired

This story has been posted in the following forums: : Headlines; COS - Tuvalu

PCOL9446

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: