April 15, 2004: Headlines: COS - Ecuador: Obituaries: The Douglas County News Review: Ecuador RPCV Gary Hill dies of heart condition

Peace Corps Online: Directory: Ecuador: Peace Corps Ecuador : The Peace Corps in Ecuador: April 15, 2004: Headlines: COS - Ecuador: Obituaries: The Douglas County News Review: Ecuador RPCV Gary Hill dies of heart condition

By Admin1 (admin) (pool-151-196-242-91.balt.east.verizon.net - 151.196.242.91) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 3:00 pm: Edit Post

Ecuador RPCV Gary Hill dies of heart condition

Longtime attorney Gary Hill dies of heart condition

CHRISTIAN BRINGHURST

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Just Bears & Stuff

VIEW FULL AD

Roseburg attorney Gary Hill, who was born and raised here and practiced law in the area for 30 years, died Tuesday of a heart-related medical condition.

He took ill late Tuesday and was rushed to Mercy Medical Center but died at the hospital, said Hill's sister, Donna Watkins of Roseburg.

Hill, 57, was hospitalized as recently as February for the condition, according to friends, but he had returned to work and was seen in court just hours before his death late Tuesday night.

Hill handled criminal defense, domestic relations, elder law, probate and trust, real property and small business cases.

"A nicer guy, I don't think anyone of us has ever known," said Douglas County Circuit Judge Robert Millikan. "He's a true gentleman, and I don't think you'll ever find anybody to disagree."

Millikan, who began practicing in Roseburg himself in 1973, said he has known Hill for almost his whole career.

"I'm going to miss him," he said. "It's just tragic."

Hill graduated in 1964 from Roseburg High School, where he was student body president, said a former teacher, Don Bodeen.

After high school, he majored in political science at Linfield College, and then went to Ecuador with the Peace Corps, Watkins said. He got his law degree from Willamette University and came back to practice with Randy Slocum in Roseburg before starting his own practice.

Some of Hill's cases are being handled by Sutherlin attorney Danny Lang, who volunteered to help on a short-term basis.

"I knew Gary for probably close to 15 years," Lang said. "He was always a gentleman and a pleasure to deal with, even if we were on opposite sides of a case ... so I offered to assist with any urgent matters."

Hill is survived by his wife, Lisa Hill, his son Matthew Hill, daughters Leah Richardson and Lucia Frosland, his mother Marian Hill, sisters Donna Watkins and Linda Carpenter, and two grandchildren.

Memorial services will be announced later.

* You can reach reporter Christian Bringhurst at 957-4213 or by e-mail at cbringhurst@newsreview.info.

Some postings on Peace Corps Online are provided to the individual members of this group without permission of the copyright owner for the non-profit purposes of criticism, comment, education, scholarship, and research under the "Fair Use" provisions of U.S. Government copyright laws and they may not be distributed further without permission of the copyright owner. Peace Corps Online does not vouch for the accuracy of the content of the postings, which is the sole responsibility of the copyright holder.

Story Source: The Douglas County News Review

This story has been posted in the following forums: : Headlines; COS - Ecuador; Obituaries

PCOL11028

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: