January 28, 2004: Headlines: COS - Ecuador: Culture Shock: Reverse Culture Shock: Humor: Personal Web Site: Reminders that I'm still dealing with Reverse Culture Shock by Ecuador RPCV Dena Zureus

Peace Corps Online: Directory: Ecuador: Peace Corps Ecuador : The Peace Corps in Ecuador: January 28, 2004: Headlines: COS - Ecuador: Culture Shock: Reverse Culture Shock: Humor: Personal Web Site: Reminders that I'm still dealing with Reverse Culture Shock by Ecuador RPCV Dena Zureus

By Admin1 (admin) (pool-151-196-44-226.balt.east.verizon.net - 151.196.44.226) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 5:22 pm: Edit Post

Reminders that I'm still dealing with Reverse Culture Shock by Ecuador RPCV Dena Zureus

Reminders that I'm still dealing with Reverse Culture Shock by Ecuador RPCV Dena Zureus

Reminders that I'm still dealing with Reverse Culture Shock

I compiled this list on Jan 28th '04...

* When first at home I realized that I could read all the signs and understand the conversations around me.

* I instinctly say "gracias" when a server gives me my drink or someone holds a door open for me. (True for about the first 2 weeks at home).

* The first time I went to the movies back in the states I expected there to be subtitles and was surprised when there wasn't any.

* Someone complains of only earning $11 an hour and I think $11 an hour sounds like really good money.

* I see a black smudge on a wall and first think it's a cockroach or large insect.

* I watch a man approach a tree in a public area and expect him to take a piss.

* I feel uncomfortable leaving money on the table of a restaurant to pay for the tab, or leaving my belongings or drinks out of my sight in public places.

* I feel a little uncomfortable when greeting or interacting with people, since my initial reaction is to give them a kiss on the cheek, sometimes shaking hands feels awkward.

* I suddenly realize that I CAN drink straight from the tap.

* I can't help but think, while sitting at the opera, how the cost of my ticket could feed a family in Bolivia for about 2 months.

* I forget what rush hour traffic is like in Seattle, not giving myself enough time to drive downtown.

* I'm overwhelmed walking through Toys 'R Us. The overindulgence, the number of different toys, the prices and overstimulation all give me a headache.

* I'm still avoiding the mall and Costco.

* I'm drinking more coffee than I ever have in my life.

* I catch myself throwing away recyclables. (True for the first couple of months)

* I realize and relish that the tapwater is WARM (especially in public bathrooms) and I take longer hot showers.

* I notice the roads here are a lot smoother.

* Prior to coming home I expected to find things more efficient than in S.America, but I discover thatís not always the case!

Some postings on Peace Corps Online are provided to the individual members of this group without permission of the copyright owner for the non-profit purposes of criticism, comment, education, scholarship, and research under the "Fair Use" provisions of U.S. Government copyright laws and they may not be distributed further without permission of the copyright owner. Peace Corps Online does not vouch for the accuracy of the content of the postings, which is the sole responsibility of the copyright holder.

Story Source: Personal Web Site

This story has been posted in the following forums: : Headlines; COS - Ecuador; Culture Shock; Reverse Culture Shock; Humor

PCOL11231

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: