June 13, 2004: Headlines: COS - Moldova: PCVs int he Field - Moldova: Herald Dispatch: Moldova PCV says Birthday surprise adds quirky touch to barbecue celebration

Peace Corps Online: Directory: Moldova: Peace Corps Moldova : The Peace Corps in Moldova: June 13, 2004: Headlines: COS - Moldova: PCVs int he Field - Moldova: Herald Dispatch: Moldova PCV says Birthday surprise adds quirky touch to barbecue celebration

By Admin1 (admin) (pool-151-196-45-115.balt.east.verizon.net - 151.196.45.115) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 11:23 pm: Edit Post

Moldova PCV says Birthday surprise adds quirky touch to barbecue celebration

Birthday surprise adds quirky touch to barbecue celebration

The sky clouded over, the air cool and threatening rain. My friend Liliana had invited me to her daughterís sixth birthday party in the woods near their place in Posta Veche, on the outskirts of town.

At her apartment building, Liliana loaned me a jacket (later, while we took a walk after stuffing ourselves with food, I found a 100 lei note, about $10, in the pocket. "Nicole, youíre lucky!" she cried). Liliana and her mother brought out pots and kettles of food for this picnic, while her dad, a man who can scarcely contain his mirth, beamed with mischievous glee.

"Iíve made a surprise for Madalina," he said. "Iíve promised her a surprise."

He opened the carís hatch to reveal a baby girl goat, a goat theyíd brought all the way from the village.

He put a hair ribbon over her ears. He cracked up; Liliana shook her head.

"Dad, where will we put a goat?" she asked. "On the balcony," he suggested.

Once you get an idea into his head, Liliana told me later, thatís it (My own dadís response, on the phone that night: "Honey, if theyíre giving goats as birthday presents, itís time to come home.")

Madalina was already at the barbecue site.

The rest of us piled in the car and drove along a gravel road skirting a field, every nook occupied with barbecues in progress, a few trees giving privacy between the parties.

Our goat spoke up in protest every time the car hit a bump.

Finding Madalina, her granddad called to her to come and see this birthday surprise.

With one look, she gave a talk-to-the-hand gesture and skipped away.

"I donít want a sheep!" she called out.

"But Mada, Mada, itís a goat," we said.

She tiptoed back to us to reconsider. Meanwhile Lilianaís dad tied the goat to a nearby tree. The goat shouted at us, again.

Kids wandering down the gravel road stopped to check out this goat with a bow on her head; the goat created social opportunities, which Madalina could appreciate.

A whole party of goats nibbled across the open field near us.

Later, they shimmied back the way theyíd come, Madalinaís goat eyeing her kin.

At the end of the day, the birthday goat rode back to the village, where it now lives happily with its goat friends, waiting for Madalinaís visit.

Nicole Sheets is a Barboursville native and Peace Corps volunteer in Moldova. Her e-mail address is moldovanicole@yahoo.com.

Some postings on Peace Corps Online are provided to the individual members of this group without permission of the copyright owner for the non-profit purposes of criticism, comment, education, scholarship, and research under the "Fair Use" provisions of U.S. Government copyright laws and they may not be distributed further without permission of the copyright owner. Peace Corps Online does not vouch for the accuracy of the content of the postings, which is the sole responsibility of the copyright holder.

Story Source: Herald Dispatch

This story has been posted in the following forums: : Headlines; COS - Moldova; PCVs int he Field - Moldova

PCOL11878

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: