June 7, 2004: Headlines: COS - Mali: San Diego Business Journal: Scott Anders worked for the Peace Corps, spending more than two years in Mali

Peace Corps Online: Directory: Mali: Peace Corps Mali : The Peace Corps in Mali: June 7, 2004: Headlines: COS - Mali: San Diego Business Journal: Scott Anders worked for the Peace Corps, spending more than two years in Mali

By Admin1 (admin) (pool-141-157-22-73.balt.east.verizon.net - 141.157.22.73) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 3:08 pm: Edit Post

Scott Anders worked for the Peace Corps, spending more than two years in Mali

Executive Profile: SCOTT ANDERS

by Rene'E Beasley Jones

From a very young age, Scott Anders enjoyed watching birds, which turned him into a nature lover. In middle school, Anders built a solar water beater for a science project.

So his work as director of policy and planning at the San Diego Regional Energy Office seems a perfect fit. The nonprofit agency is one of the county's leading energy authorities, managing more than $30 million in public funds and offering a variety of rebate, incentive, and education programs. It acts as an information clearinghouse on myriad energy issues, including conservation and alternative sources of electricity.

After college, Anders worked for the Peace Corps, spending more than two years in Mali, which is located in western Africa.

"I have actually been to Timbuktu," he* said.

His time in Africa proved to be the most influential experience of his life.

Here's an interesting tidbit: Scott Anders wasn't always Scott Anders. He started life as Scott Boyd.

But when he married, Anders took his wife's birth name.

"When people ask why I did it, I tell them either that I was in the witness protection program or that my former last name was Lipshitz," he said.

BUSINESS PHILOSOPHY

Essential business philosophy: Follow your passion.

Guiding principles: Honesty, integrity, parsimony, humor,

Yardstick of success: I make it home in time to see my kids before bed.

Goals yet to be achieved: Spanish fluency, climb a mountain on every continent, and preserving my sanity through my kids' teen years.

JUDGMENT CALLS

Best career decision: Moving to San Diego.

Worst business decision: Buying Lucent Technology stock at $50.

Toughest career decision: Quitting my job in Washington, D.C., to move to San Diego.

Biggest missed opportunity: Deciding not to see the gorillas in Rwanda while traveling in southern Uganda.

Word that describes you: Loquacious.

TRUE CONFESSIONS

What you like most about your job: Feeling a part of the solution.

What you like least about your job: The commute.

Pet peeve: Traffic!

Most important lesson learned: It is always better to forgive than to harbor a grudge.

Person most interested in meeting: Thomas Jefferson.

Favorite pastime: Camping.

First choice for a new career: Full-time dad.

PREDILECTIONS

Favorite quote: This is a Malian proverb of unknown origins: "No matter how long a stick lies in water, it never becomes a crocodile." It is the Malian equivalent of "You can take the person out of New Jersey, but you can't take the New Jersey out of the person."

Favorite cause: San Diego Riverpark Lakeside Conservancy.

Most influential book: "For the Common Good" by Herman Daly.

Favorite status symbol: Charles Shaw cabernet sauvignon ("Two Buck Chuck").

Favorite movie: "Cinema Paradiso."

Favorite restaurant: Mi Cabana (Lakeside taco shop).

Favorite place for meetings: Jasmine restaurant in Kearny Mesa.

Favorite vacation spot: Mt. Kenya, Kenya.

Favorite way to spend time: Spinning yams with good friends and family.

Favorite automobile: 1990 VW Vanagon.

Resume

Name: Scott J. Anders.

Title: Director of policy and planning, San Diego Regional Energy Office.

Education: Bachelor's degree in international politics, Muhlenberg College (Allentown, Pa.), master's degree in public policy from University of Maryland School of Public Affairs.

Residence: Lakeside.

Birthplace: Philadelphia.

Family: Wife, Abby; daughter, Kaya 3 1/2; son, Max, 1.

Copyright San Diego Business Journal Jun 07, 2004

Some postings on Peace Corps Online are provided to the individual members of this group without permission of the copyright owner for the non-profit purposes of criticism, comment, education, scholarship, and research under the "Fair Use" provisions of U.S. Government copyright laws and they may not be distributed further without permission of the copyright owner. Peace Corps Online does not vouch for the accuracy of the content of the postings, which is the sole responsibility of the copyright holder.

Story Source: San Diego Business Journal

This story has been posted in the following forums: : Headlines; COS - Mali

PCOL12156

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: