1966: Kathleen young nardina served in sierra leone, west africa beginning in 1966

Peace Corps Online: Directory: Sierra Leone: Directory of Sierra Leone RPCVs: 1966: Kathleen young nardina served in sierra leone, west africa beginning in 1966

By Admin1 (admin) (pool-151-196-43-253.balt.east.verizon.net - 151.196.43.253) on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 10:15 pm: Edit Post

kathleen young nardina served in sierra leone, west africa beginning in 1966

westafrica,cossierraleone,westafrica

Returned Peace Corps Volunteer kathleen young nardina can be contacted at knard57ahotmaildcom

Country of Service: sierra leone, west africa

Training Group: 1966-68 teachers and agricultural wrkrs

Cities you served in: binkolo, makeni and freetown, s.l.

Arrival Year: 1966

Departure Year: 1968

Work Description:

Teacher of ESL, primary through SP1 in Am. Wesleyan Mission school; toured to demo ESL techniques to S.L.teachers; participated in in-country training June-August/Sept.'68.

Bring us up to date on your life after the peace corps:

I have continued as an educator in many different settings. I've traveled a lot in the US since returning. I found a spiritual path to nurture the soul. I am quite peaceful inwardly though wish to reach out in tangible ways to help the US be more tolerant of those with opinions and ways differing from our quite egocentric (US as best in the world) viewpoint).Through the efforts of a fellow Sierra Leone volunteer, I have remade contact with the chief of Binkolo and I would like to rebuild support systems in Binkolo and,perhaps, elsewhere.

Any thoughts you have now looking back on peace corps days?:

Peace Corps service came at a pivotal time in my "growing up". I was blessed with meaningful work, my own naivete', and incredible Sierra Leonian friends/colleagues. I learned much more than I gave. The experience of seeing the US from others' perspectives has formed the basis of a world view that is much less insular than it would have otherwise been.

Anyone you are looking for or would like to hear from?:

I would like to reconnect with those in Sierra Leone connected to education and with returned volunteers no matter what the country.

Any message for returned volunteers?:

I keep thinking that the US needs a corps to assist us in learning how to make PEACE, build equality into our relationships, honor differences, etc.!

Main Logo

Please post messages to the RPCV and corrections to the profile below.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: