March 8, 2005: Headlines: COS - Togo: Tsunami: WHO: World Health Organization: COS - Indonesia : Oregon Live: "Well, my wife said that I said I failed retirement," Garry Presthus said humorously about Marie-Jeanne Presthus, whom he met in Togo in the late 1960s while active during college with the Peace Corps. His Peace Corps experience ultimately led him to WHO.

Peace Corps Online: Directory: Togo: Peace Corps Togo : The Peace Corps in Togo: March 8, 2005: Headlines: COS - Togo: Tsunami: WHO: World Health Organization: COS - Indonesia : Oregon Live: "Well, my wife said that I said I failed retirement," Garry Presthus said humorously about Marie-Jeanne Presthus, whom he met in Togo in the late 1960s while active during college with the Peace Corps. His Peace Corps experience ultimately led him to WHO.

By Admin1 (admin) (pool-151-196-123-27.balt.east.verizon.net - 151.196.123.27) on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 3:51 am: Edit Post

"Well, my wife said that I said I failed retirement," Garry Presthus said humorously about Marie-Jeanne Presthus, whom he met in Togo in the late 1960s while active during college with the Peace Corps. His Peace Corps experience ultimately led him to WHO.

Well, my wife said that I said I failed retirement, Garry Presthus said humorously about Marie-Jeanne Presthus, whom he met in Togo in the late 1960s while active during college with the Peace Corps. His Peace Corps experience ultimately led him to WHO.

"Well, my wife said that I said I failed retirement," Garry Presthus said humorously about Marie-Jeanne Presthus, whom he met in Togo in the late 1960s while active during college with the Peace Corps. His Peace Corps experience ultimately led him to WHO.

Retiree can't sit still when he's needed
Garry Presthus helps the World Health Organization during emergencies such as the tsunami in Asia
Tuesday, March 08, 2005
JUSTIN MUCH

BATTLE GROUND H e has stepped foot on every continent except Antarctica, and he has worked toward eradicating diseases such as smallpox, river blindness and polio. You would think not much could surprise Garry Presthus.

Then there was the tsunami.

"The magnitude of disaster was so big; there is absolutely nothing you can compare it to," said Presthus, 61, a Battle Ground resident and retired World Health Organization worker. "It would be like an avalanche going through the city of Portland, leveling everything."

The tsunami, along with an increase in polio cases in west-central Africa last year, essentially ousted Presthus from retirement after 32 years with WHO. WHO, a United Nations agency that specializes in health, solicited his extensive experience and skills to help administer the colossal stream of aid to survivors in Banda Aceh, the provincial capital of Indonesia. He spent six weeks in January and February helping coordinate the disaster relief efforts, such as the allotment of medical and food supplies to survivors.

The trip came shortly after a polio immunization assignment for WHO in Zimbabwe and the Ivory Coast.

Despite his years of experience working on WHO projects, Presthus was not prepared for what he saw when he flew into the northern Sumatra coastal city of Banda Aceh in mid-January.

Thousands of relief workers were still finding an average of 400 dead a day. Significantly more than 100,000 were killed and buried in mass graves in Sumatra's Aceh Province alone. Indonesia's health minister, Siti Fadilah, estimated his country's death toll at more than 166,000, but he had abandoned any hope of a specific number.

"You just think it can't happen," Presthus said. "The earthquake was so severe people couldn't stand outside.

"The waves that hit the area were 25 meters high (82 feet) and moved 11 meters per second," he said. "If you do the math, it comes out to about 60 mph. It's almost hard to imagine -- for seven kilometers square, (2.7 square miles) nothing was left standing. That gives you an idea of the magnitude of the situation."

Presthus -- active by nature -- felt duty-bound when WHO called him back.

"Well, my wife said that I said I failed retirement," Presthus said humorously about Marie-Jeanne Presthus, whom he met in Togo in the late 1960s while active during college with the Peace Corps. His Peace Corps experience ultimately led him to WHO.

"Yeah, my dad retired in 2001, but he just can't stay still," said Gregory Presthus, 23, who was born in Seattle just before his parents moved to Papua New Guinea, where his father initiated a WHO immunization program. Before that, the couple lived in Africa, where Garry Presthus worked on smallpox eradication in the Congo and Zaire, then on onchocerciasis -- river blindness -- in Botswana.

"When they called and asked if I would go to Papua New Guinea, we got out the atlas and decided, 'That looks interesting,' " he said. "So we went there for five years. I enjoyed it. It wasn't a picnic while we were there, but we saw results by the time we left."

Seeing a society improve its health, especially among children, inspires Presthus more than anything else, and he calls those assignments his most rewarding. Especially since in Botswana, river blindness had been epidemic when he arrived and was gone when he left.

His career, however, covered the globe. From Papua New Guinea, he transferred to the WHO regional office in Manila, the Philippines, and from there he worked in China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and many others in the South Pacific. He then went to Yemen for two years in the mid-1980s, then to Nepal for two years before spending five years in India.

Before his "retirement," Presthus spent his final seven years in an administrative position at the WHO headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.

Throughout all his globetrotting, however, some of his most surprising discoveries were upon returning home to his native Battle Ground. After graduating from Battle Ground High School in the early 1960s, he attended Clark College before finishing up at the University of Washington with a political science degree in 1969.

"Clark College, when I attended, had 1,000 students," he said of the campus that taught 8,241 students in the fall of 2004. "Battle Ground is no longer a sleepy little town of 1,000; it's now over 14,000. Just the growth the whole metro area has seen is incredible. Orchards was once an ice-cream stand, post office and tavern. Now it's a bit different, to say the least."

Presthus realizes that change is constant, and movement is central to change. Only three days after returning from Sumatra two weeks ago, he and Marie-Jeanne were on a plane to Europe, but this time the theme was pleasure -- sightseeing and skiing in the French Alps.

"I'll take each day as it comes along," Presthus said of his on-again, off-again retirement status. "At 60, a person is still young these days; I guess us Baby Boomers are going to be around for a while and messing up the demography and Social Security system."

But after a life of travel and experiences, will true retirement greet this kid from Battle Ground by age 70?

"I don't know; maybe yes, maybe no," he said. "Nothing is impossible. There are also a lot of golf courses I'd like to visit, still some fish I haven't caught. Maybe someday I'll do what I did when I grew up -- salmon fishing and trout fishing."

When this story was posted in March 2005, this was on the front page of PCOL:

The Peace Corps Library Date: February 7 2005 No: 438 The Peace Corps Library
Peace Corps Online is proud to announce that the Peace Corps Library is now available online. With over 30,000 index entries in over 500 categories, this is the largest collection of Peace Corps related reference material in the world. From Acting to Zucchini, you can use the Main Index to find hundreds of stories about RPCVs who have your same interests, who served in your Country of Service, or who serve in your state.

Top Stories and Breaking News PCOL Magazine Peace Corps Library RPCV Directory Sign Up

RPCVs in Congress ask colleagues to support PC Date: March 5 2005 No: 482 RPCVs in Congress ask colleagues to support PC
RPCVs Sam Farr, Chris Shays, Thomas Petri, James Walsh, and Mike Honda have asked their colleagues in Congress to add their names to a letter they have written to the House Foreign Operations Subcommittee, asking for full funding of $345 M for the Peace Corps in 2006. As a follow-on to Peace Corps week, please read the letter and call your Representative in Congress and ask him or her to add their name to the letter.

March 5, 2005: RPCV Groups in the News Date: March 5 2005 No: 483 March 5, 2005: RPCV Groups in the News
San Diego RPCVs host reception with Gaddi Vasquez on March 6 4 Mar
Alaska RPCVs speak for dividend 4 Mar
Western North Carolina's RPCVs sponsor Africa Night on March 6 3 Mar
Maryland RPCVs lobby their Senators for Peace Corps 3 Mar
Connecticut RPCVs hold fundraiser on March 5 3 Mar
Charles Baquet speaks at Louisiana PC Breakfast on March 4 28 Feb

RPCVs: Post your stories or press releases here for inclusion next week.

March 5, 2005: This Week's Top Stories Date: March 5 2005 No: 476 March 5, 2005: This Week's Top Stories
Senate FR Committee approves $345 M PC budget 4 Mar
RPCV's "Kennedy's Kitchen" records second CD 4 Mar
Sam Farr asks Army to reconsider burial policy 3 Mar
Bayanihan jewelry designed by Philippines RPCV 2 Mar
Todd Vetter receives calling during PC service 2 Mar
Sargent Shriver still on Washington's A-list 2 Mar
Photographer Bill Owens publishes new book 2 Mar
Crisis Corps to open new program in Sri Lanka 28 Feb
PC wants new stories for "The Great Adventure" 28 Feb
Ukraine PCV asks "Is Bush right on Iraq?" 28 Feb
Carol Bellamy defends "feminism" in aiding children 28 Feb
John Bridgeland discusses role as Bush assistant 28 Feb
Paul Theroux recalls high times with Hunter Thompson 28 Feb
Elaine Chao Leads Delegation to Uruguay 28 Feb
RPCV reunites with friend after 40 years 27 Feb
Kay Muldoon-Ibrahim's photography on exhibit 27 Feb
Jim Doyle displays political brilliance on tax cuts 26 Feb

March 1: National Day of Action Date: February 28 2005 No: 471 March 1: National Day of Action
Tuesday, March 1, is the NPCA's National Day of Action. Please call your Senators and ask them to support the President's proposed $27 Million budget increase for the Peace Corps for FY2006 and ask them to oppose the elimination of Perkins loans that benefit Peace Corps volunteers from low-income backgrounds. Follow this link for step-by-step information on how to make your calls. Then take our poll and leave feedback on how the calls went.
Coates Redmon, Peace Corps Chronicler  Date: February 26 2005 No: 457 Coates Redmon, Peace Corps Chronicler
Coates Redmon, a staffer in Sargent Shriver's Peace Corps, died February 22 in Washington, DC. Her book "Come as You Are" is considered to be one of the finest (and most entertaining) recountings of the birth of the Peace Corps and how it was literally thrown together in a matter of weeks. If you want to know what it felt like to be young and idealistic in the 1960's, get an out-of-print copy. We honor her memory.
Make a call for the Peace Corps Date: February 19 2005 No: 453 Make a call for the Peace Corps
PCOL is a strong supporter of the NPCA's National Day of Action and encourages every RPCV to spend ten minutes on Tuesday, March 1 making a call to your Representatives and ask them to support President Bush's budget proposal of $345 Million to expand the Peace Corps. Take our Poll: Click here to take our poll. We'll send out a reminder and have more details early next week.
Peace Corps Calendar: Tempest in a Teapot? Date: February 17 2005 No: 445 Peace Corps Calendar: Tempest in a Teapot?
Bulgarian writer Ognyan Georgiev has written a story which has made the front page of the newspaper "Telegraf" criticizing the photo selection for his country in the 2005 "Peace Corps Calendar" published by RPCVs of Madison, Wisconsin. RPCV Betsy Sergeant Snow, who submitted the photograph for the calendar, has published her reply. Read the stories and leave your comments.
WWII participants became RPCVs Date: February 13 2005 No: 442 WWII participants became RPCVs
Read about two RPCVs who participated in World War II in very different ways long before there was a Peace Corps. Retired Rear Adm. Francis J. Thomas (RPCV Fiji), a decorated hero of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, died Friday, Jan. 21, 2005 at 100. Mary Smeltzer (RPCV Botswana), 89, followed her Japanese students into WWII internment camps. We honor both RPCVs for their service.
Bush's FY06 Budget for the Peace Corps Date: February 7 2005 No: 436 Bush's FY06 Budget for the Peace Corps
The White House is proposing $345 Million for the Peace Corps for FY06 - a $27.7 Million (8.7%) increase that would allow at least two new posts and maintain the existing number of volunteers at approximately 7,700. Bush's 2002 proposal to double the Peace Corps to 14,000 volunteers appears to have been forgotten. The proposed budget still needs to be approved by Congress.

Read the stories and leave your comments.

Some postings on Peace Corps Online are provided to the individual members of this group without permission of the copyright owner for the non-profit purposes of criticism, comment, education, scholarship, and research under the "Fair Use" provisions of U.S. Government copyright laws and they may not be distributed further without permission of the copyright owner. Peace Corps Online does not vouch for the accuracy of the content of the postings, which is the sole responsibility of the copyright holder.

Story Source: Oregon Live

This story has been posted in the following forums: : Headlines; COS - Togo; Tsunami; WHO; World Health Organization; COS - Indonesia

PCOL17608

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: