|By Leah Salkoff Pohl (184.108.40.206.primary.net - 220.127.116.11) on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 6:55 pm: Edit Post|
Dear Fellow RPCVs,
My name is Leah Salkoff Pohl. I served in Guatemala as an Environmental Educator from 2001-2003. I now work for the Saint Louis Zoo in the Education Department. I am contacting you with the hope that you could provide information for our international conservation projects.
The Saint Louis Zoo’s WildCare Institute is made up of 12 conservation centers around the world. Recently I have been helping the Director of Education with teacher trainings in these areas. Louise is headed to Kenya this summer to conduct a needs assessment with teachers. She asked me to contact RPCVs for their input, contacts, and curricula. I found your emails on the RPCV website, and I tried to narrow down the list by choosing volunteers who served within the last 10 years in either Education or Agroforestry. Here are my questions. Any information you could provide we would greatly appreciate.
1. Is there an APCD who works with environmental education projects? If so, could you provide his/her contact information? If not, is there an APCD who would support a secondary project in environmental education? Could you provide his/her contact information?
2. Do you know of any persons (RPCVs, bi or multilingual nationals, etc…) currently living in Kenya who we could contact for their knowledge, skills, and potential partnership? (REALLY IMPORTANT)
3. Can you provide contact information for environmental organizations, people, or school superintendents who might want to partner with the Zoo?
4. What sorts of environmental education projects (primary or secondary) have been successful in Kenya?
5. Do you have any materials from those successful projects that you could share with us? (REALLY IMPORTANT)
6. General comments about the Kenya school system and environmental education in Kenya.
7. Any other information you think is relevant.
Thank you so much for your time and effort!
Leah Salkoff Pohl
Saint Louis Zoo
One Government Drive
St. Louis, MO 63110