1985: Ruth Elizabeth Beecher served in Liberia in Based in Monrovia but did "rounds" and conferences with all the other hospitals and clinics throughout Liberia over two years beginning in 1985

Peace Corps Online: Directory: Liberia: Directory of Liberia RPCVs: 1985: Ruth Elizabeth Beecher served in Liberia in Based in Monrovia but did "rounds" and conferences with all the other hospitals and clinics throughout Liberia over two years beginning in 1985

By Admin1 (admin) (adsl-70-240-139-65.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net - 70.240.139.65) on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 7:55 am: Edit Post

1985: Ruth Elizabeth Beecher served in Liberia in Based in Monrovia but did "rounds" and conferences with all the other hospitals and clinics throughout Liberia over two years beginning in 1985

Returned Peace Corps Volunteer Ruth Elizabeth Beecher can be contacted at ltrebaaoldcom

Country of Service: Liberia

Training Group: We were all "upcountry" in Totata, Liberia for 6 weeks "cross culture" training

Cities you served in: Based in Monrovia but did "rounds" and conferences with all the other hospitals and clinics throughout Liberia over two years

Arrival Year: October 1985 - Our group entered Liberia later than usual because Samuel Kayon Doe (then President) did not want us in the country when the "first democratic Presidential elections" were going on.

Departure Year: July 1987

Work Description:

I was counterpart to the Director of Nurses at JFK Medical Center and Administrator of Tnima-Tubman National Institute of Medical Arts at these co-joining facilities. I taught student nurses and did admin and supervisory duties.

Bring us up to date on your life after the peace corps:

Since I took early retirement from my NY health Ed teaching position, I was in good health to go into Peace Corps at age 60. I was not happy being a "young" retiree in Florida so I tried going back into Peace Corps. After failing the Medical 3 times I could not go into Peace Corps then.

The cough that I came home with was thought to possibly be tuberculosis. However, the Miami Veterans' Hospital diagnosed it as COPD - Ceonic Obstructive Pulmonar Disease - from all the red dust I breathed into my lungs living on a red dirt toad.

I did volunteer work, became color guard with AM Legion 222 (first female), MCL 755, AAUW (American University Women) and I serve on the US Selective Service Board yearly.

Any thoughts you have now looking back on peace corps days?:

Simply depressing that Liberia, our work and the Liberian people that we grew to love have gone through such horrendous times.

I am a sentimental old gal and while in Liberia I wrote our "alma mater" - it has been used over and over for 25th Peace Corps ceremony etc but I can not get it acknowledged and if I die soon I would like it to be known. It is and was my tribute to US Peace Corps and Liberia in general.

I do want to thank you for helping me - I do want to be listed so that perhaps I can find my friends and they can find me.

Sincerely,

Ruth E. Beecher
RPCV 1985 - 87
Liberia, West Africa

Originally posted: September 20, 2003

Looking for another volunteer who served with this Group?

If you know this volunteer or someone from his or her group and are looking to reconnect with them,
leave a message above where it says "Create New Conversation."

If this is your profile, post any additions, updates or corrections to your profile below where it says "Add a Message."

RPCVs: To add your own RPCV profile click here.

The Peace Corps Library Date: March 17 2005 No: 499 The Peace Corps Library
Peace Corps Online is proud to announce that the Peace Corps Library is now available online. With over 30,000 index entries in 500 categories, this is the largest collection of Peace Corps related stories in the world. From Acting to Zucchini, you can use the Main Index to find hundreds of stories about what RPCVs with your same interests or from your Country of Service are doing today.

Main Logo

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: