1962: Jay S. Friedman served in Sierra Leone in Bonthe, Segbwema, Bo, Freetown beginning in 1962

Peace Corps Online: Directory: Sierra Leone: Directory of Sierra Leone RPCVs: 1962: Jay S. Friedman served in Sierra Leone in Bonthe, Segbwema, Bo, Freetown beginning in 1962

By Admin1 (admin) (adsl-70-240-139-65.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net - 70.240.139.65) on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 9:14 am: Edit Post

1962: Jay S. Friedman served in Sierra Leone in Bonthe, Segbwema, Bo, Freetown beginning in 1962

Returned Peace Corps Volunteer Jay S. Friedman can be contacted at jsf1acdcdgov

Host Country: Sierra Leone

Training Group Name: III

City (or cities) you served in: Bonthe, Segbwema, Bo, Freetown

Year you began your peace corps service: 1962

Year you completed your peace corps service: 1964

Peace Corps Work Description:
1. Advisor to fisherman's co-op.

2. Advisor to cocoa farmer's co-op.

3. Teacher in vocational school.

Bring us up to date on your life after the peace corps:
Went to grad school. Since then have worked for Centers For Disease Control: 12 years in 3rd world (Africa, Asia) eradicating smallpox and in childhood vaccination programs and since 1978 advising on reproductive health surveys and program management.

Anything else you would like people to know about your peace corps service:
I learned more than I taught

Any thoughts you have now looking back on peace corps days?:
I would not be who I am now if I had not served in the PC.

Anyone you are looking for or would like to hear from?:
Jim Smith and Paul Wrobel, who I served with. Paul and I exchanged emails a couple of years ago, but I have not heard about Jim, whose unusual name makes him hard to trace.

Any additions or changes you would like to see in Peace Corps Online?:
No.

Originally posted: June 4, 2001

Looking for another volunteer who served with this Group?

If you know this volunteer or someone from his or her group and are looking to reconnect with them,
leave a message above where it says "Create New Conversation."

If this is your profile, post any additions, updates or corrections to your profile below where it says "Add a Message."

RPCVs: To add your own RPCV profile click here.

The Peace Corps Library Date: March 17 2005 No: 499 The Peace Corps Library
Peace Corps Online is proud to announce that the Peace Corps Library is now available online. With over 30,000 index entries in 500 categories, this is the largest collection of Peace Corps related stories in the world. From Acting to Zucchini, you can use the Main Index to find hundreds of stories about what RPCVs with your same interests or from your Country of Service are doing today.

Main Logo

By Micah Russell (cache-rtc-aa07.proxy.aol.com - 152.163.100.11) on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 4:37 am: Edit Post

Hello everyone,
I am looking for anyone who served with my mother and father in Sierra Leone. They were PC volunteers from 1962-64. My mother's name was Maureen Bonfield, and my father is Charles Anthony (Tony) Russell. They worked in Education, and I believe my father was based in Freetown.
Any info appreciated,
Micah Russell

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: