|By Anonymous (cpe-65-27-111-60.mn.res.rr.com - 188.8.131.52) on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 9:08 pm: Edit Post|
Augusburg College in Minneapolis, MN seeks a Program Coordinator/Adjunct Professor in Windhoek, Namibia
The Center for Global Education (CGE) at Augsburg College (a Lutheran College in the USA) is an accredited university with a program center located in Windhoek, Namibia. The Center offers an undergraduate semester program that develops the theme, "Nation Building, Globalization and Decolonizing the Mind." Several short-term travel seminars are also coordinated every year. Programs draw students from colleges and universities throughout the US. The Centerís mission is to provide cross-cultural education opportunities that develop critical thinking skills for analyzing local and global conditions so that personal and systemic change takes place leading to a more just and sustainable world.
POSITION STATUS: Full time, 12 months
RESPONSIBILITIES (include but are not limited to):
1. administer (with a program team) two semester long undergraduate study abroad programs and several short term travel seminars
2. plan, teach and coordinate one or two of the following classes: POL 353 Political and Social Change in Namibia, HIS 346 Namibia and South Africa: A Historical Perspective, HIS 327 Racism and Resistance in Southern Africa and the U.S., INS 312 The Development Process - Southern Africa, INS 399 Internship, or REL 346 Religion and Social Change.
3. supervise and advise students in their academic challenges and intercultural adjustments
4. assist with logistical details such as driving, accompanying students to guest lectures, etc.
5. assist with administrative/organizational tasks and supervision of non-academic staff
(include but are not limited to):
1. university degree (Masterís degree required, Doctorate preferred)
2. experience and knowledge of experiential and contextual education
3. preference will be given to candidates with a background in political science, religion, history, development, African studies, or content knowledge related to the above courses
4. experience with and sensitivity to group dynamics in intercultural/inter-racial settings.
5. familiarity with diverse communities and development issues in Southern Africa
6. strong educational, organizational and administrative skills
TO START: mid-July, 2006
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 1, 2006
HOW TO APPLY: E-mail or mail a resume and cover letter including salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org (Word or text only format) or to Human Resources, Augsburg College, C.B. 79, 2211 Riverside Ave., Minneapolis, MN 55454
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Augsburg is an equal opportunity employer