Seminole Indians of Florida

Peace Corps Online: Directory: Sierra Leone: Special Report: Historian and Anthropologist Sierra Leone RPCV Joseph Opala: February 9, 2005: Index: PCOL Exclusive: RPCV Joseph Opala (Sierra Leone) : 2006.11.06: November 6, 2006: Headlines: Figures: COS - Sierra Leone: Anthropology: African American Issues: Native American Issues: UConn Advance: Joseph Opala has spent much of his career studying the people who became known as Black Seminoles and their language, called Gullah : Seminole Indians of Florida

By CarmenBailey (h2-66-137-250.mesh.net - 66.137.250.2) on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 11:21 am: Edit Post

Hello Joseph Opala,

My father in law, Frank Bailey Sr, visited Osceola's son when he and wife traveled to
Florida each year. Frank was led through swamps of the Everglades on hidden board walks to
housing similar to what my third grade class
visited in Miami and built in the back of our classroom. Osceola's Tribe had been, as also reported by americaslibrary.gov in hiding from the United States Government but now remained. I don't know the time factor. Frank died 15 years ago at over 100 years of age.

The world just got smaller.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: