Peace Corps Honduras, August 1989 - December 1991

Peace Corps Online: Directory: Honduras: Peace Corps Honduras: Peace Corps in Honduras: Peace Corps Honduras, August 1989 - December 1991

By Admin1 (admin) on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 6:41 pm: Edit Post

Peace Corps Honduras, August 1989

Peace Corps Honduras, August 1989

[ Home ] [ Trans-USA Bicycle Trip 1996 ] [ Life in Bolivia 2000 to 2002 ] [ Our Wedding 1997 ] [ Honeymoon in Honduras ] [ Peace Corps Honduras '89-'91 ] [ Matthew Ryan Leach ] [ Grateful Dead and other live music tapes ] [ Mason Robert Leach ] [ Links ]

[I will have more pictures and text up here soon] I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Ceguaca, Honduras from August 1989 - December 1991, and I returned for visits in 1994 and 1997. This page includes picture from 1989-1991 and from 1994. Go to the Honeymoon in Honduras web page to see pictures of our 1997 trip. If you have you are a prospective Peace Corps Volunteer, and want to know more about my experience, please e-mail me here.

In August my sister, Karen, and her friend Teresa came to visit me. We travelled Honduras the Peace Corps way, travelling around by hitchiking.

Kirk at the Copan Ruins

Karen and Kirk at the Ruins

Mayan fellow

[ Home ] [ Trans-USA Bicycle Trip 1996 ] [ Life in Bolivia 2000 to 2002 ] [ Our Wedding 1997 ] [ Honeymoon in Honduras ] [ Peace Corps Honduras '89-'91 ] [ Matthew Ryan Leach ] [ Grateful Dead and other live music tapes ] [ Mason Robert Leach ] [ Links ]

After our wedding we spent two weeks in Honduras.

When friends and most family found out we were going to Honduras of all places, there was much puzzlement as to why we would go to an impoverished Third World country. I knew better, having lived there. For Danielle, it was a total unknown, as this was her first trip outside the United States.

Map of Honduras

Ceguaca is located directly to the west of Lake Yojoa near the Ulua river. Utila is the directly north of La Ceiba.

Our flight from New York City to Miami to San Pedro Sula was uneventful, except for one incident. We left NYC late in the day after our wedding, thus necessitating an overnight stay in Miami at one of the airport hotels. Before the wedding, I had not been a jewelry wearer, so in the morning, as we boarded the courtesy bus to get back to the airport, I went to feel the ring on my finger, and lo and behold it was gone. Panic ensued, and I made the bus driver back up, as I raced back to our room to search for the ring. I knew I hadn't taken it off, so where could it be? Fortunately, the maid had not entered the room yet. After a little rummaging around, I found it buried in the bedsheets. I was more than a little relieved, as it would have been quite bad form to lose my ring on the second nigh tof marriage.

Touchdown in San Pedro Sula. Hot, steamy, tropical. Nice change from northeast fall weather. After a brief layover in the new (since I was a Peace Corps Volunteer six years earlier) airport, we were called for our flight to the small Caribbean island of Utila just off the north coast of Honduras. The plane was about as scary as you can imagine. Seating 14 or so, an old Eastern European (Russian) plane, with the different alphabet lettering, and *reeking* of fuel. The seats are wet with...something. No worries, mate, this is just Honduran flying, I assure Danielle. We take off in good conditions. Deterioration happens quickly, and it is raining and we are flying blind in the clouds. All is well, until we notice that the pilots are looking around (we can see them) as if they are lost. Looking down, looking around. Not giving us the best feeling. We descend. The pilots are still looking around. Suddenly, we see water. Close, real close. The pilots are still looking around. I tell Danielle that this doesn't seem right because we shouldn't have gone over water to get to La Ceiba. At this point all the passengers are frightened, including the Hondurans. And you know if the Hondurans are frightened, there really is something to be frightened about. Suddenly, the plane drops and we are landing on a dirt runwayu

Some postings on Peace Corps Online are provided to the individual members of this group without permission of the copyright owner for the non-profit purposes of criticism, comment, education, scholarship, and research under the "Fair Use" provisions of U.S. Government copyright laws and they may not be distributed further without permission of the copyright owner. Peace Corps Online does not vouch for the accuracy of the content of the postings, which is the sole responsibility of the copyright holder.

Story Source: Personal Web Site

This story has been posted in the following forums: : Headlines; COS - Honduras

PCOL4696

By mary Collins on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 8:40 am: Edit Post

Hey hows it going

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: