2009.08.25: Joe and Gay Fox served as Peace Corps Volunteers in Borneo in the early 1960s

Peace Corps Online: Directory: Malaysia: Peace Corps Malaysia : Peace Corps Malaysia: Newest Stories: 2009.08.25: Joe and Gay Fox served as Peace Corps Volunteers in Borneo in the early 1960s

By Admin1 (admin) (98.188.147.225) on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 11:39 am: Edit Post

Joe and Gay Fox served as Peace Corps Volunteers in Borneo in the early 1960s

It was in Tehran that she met her husband, Joe. He worked in the U.S. Information Service. "We were just good friends for a while," she said, "and then one day I got a message from Joe that said, ‘Love you, you bum.'" They were married a year later. Fox remembers thinking that her husband looked like John Wayne. "He was a true Renaissance man," she said. "I was an old maid who had given up on meeting the right person. I married when I was 40 years old, and took on motherhood when I was 44." Joe and Gay were married at St. Margaret Mary's Catholic Church in Swannanoa, with a Presbyterian minister sharing in the service since Joe was Catholic and Gay was Presbyterian. Ruth Bell Graham was also in the wedding. Joe and Gay were married almost 30 years before he died in 1991. They lived for two years in Borneo, where Joe served in the Peace Corps. While there, they adopted their two daughters, who were later naturalized in the United States. Marguerite Gay Crawford and JoAnne Mary Fox changed their parents' lives forever. "We knew it was time to put down roots for our children's sake," Fox said. "We chose to come to Black Mountain in 1964, because my parents were living in Montreat and we knew that they would need us. Mother lived to be 90 years old, and daddy was 93 when he died."

A life of service

by Barbara Hootman , Staff Writer

published August 25, 2010 12:15 am

Caption: Gay and Joe Fox were married at St. Margaret Mary's Catholic Church, with a priest and Presbyterian minister serving. Ruth Bell Graham, a close friend of the bride, straightens Gay's train. credit: Photo provided by Gay Fox

Gay Currie Fox has spent her life serving her fellow man.

Most people know her through Gay Currie Fox Real Estate, but a life of work in foreign service came before her career in real estate.

She recently celebrated her 90th birthday at a party attended by more than 75 friends. Many traveled hundreds of miles to celebrate the event.

Fox was born in 1920, the oldest of six children, to missionary parents who arrived in China on July 24 the same year. They spent 35 years in China in an environment that often included nightly gunfire, and fled a warlord uprising.

"My parents, Ed and Gay Currie, were remarkable, courageous people," Fox said. "They were marvelous parents, and I had such a happy childhood. Even during the most severe Chinese political problems and uprisings, they paid individual attention to each of their children. We lived in Haichow, a 400-year-old walled compound, which provided us with some protection."

Fox was seven years old when she returned to the United States for the first time. She spent two years in Richmond before returning to China at age nine and didn't return to the United States again until 1938.

By then, she spoke Mandarin like a native, but English grammar was hard for her.

"I didn't know what American teenagers were like, or supposed to be like," she said. "I went to high school in Korea for two years, and then spent a year at Thomasville High in Richmond, and graduated in California. By the time I graduated I had gone to school in four countries and attended nine schools. For the first time, I felt like a minority. There are pros and cons for children of missionaries, who usually moved around a lot."

Fox grew up in the same vicinity of China and Korea that her lifelong friend, Ruth Bell Graham, did, and she went to school with her neighbor, John Wilson.

"I've known Gay since we attended the sixth grade together in Korea," Wilson said. "Her family fled China, and came to Korea for safety. She is a wonderful, caring person."

Fox graduated from Agnes Scott College in 1942, and from Columbia University in New York in 1946, with BA and RN degrees. She chose to be a public health nurse.

It was at Agnes Scott College that she discovered the power of politics, and that changes could be made through the political system.

"That knowledge and love of the Democratic Party has stayed with me throughout my adult life, and I knew I could make a difference in other people's lives," she said.

In 1957, Fox started her career in foreign service, working as a nurse in Tehran with Agency for International Development (AID). There, she developed an orphanage that became a demonstration model in 1959.
Marriage and Motherhood

It was in Tehran that she met her husband, Joe. He worked in the U.S. Information Service.

"We were just good friends for a while," she said, "and then one day I got a message from Joe that said, ‘Love you, you bum.'"

They were married a year later.

Fox remembers thinking that her husband looked like John Wayne.

"He was a true Renaissance man," she said. "I was an old maid who had given up on meeting the right person. I married when I was 40 years old, and took on motherhood when I was 44."

Joe and Gay were married at St. Margaret Mary's Catholic Church in Swannanoa, with a Presbyterian minister sharing in the service since Joe was Catholic and Gay was Presbyterian. Ruth Bell Graham was also in the wedding. Joe and Gay were married almost 30 years before he died in 1991.

They lived for two years in Borneo, where Joe served in the Peace Corps.

While there, they adopted their two daughters, who were later naturalized in the United States. Marguerite Gay Crawford and JoAnne Mary Fox changed their parents' lives forever.

"We knew it was time to put down roots for our children's sake," Fox said. "We chose to come to Black Mountain in 1964, because my parents were living in Montreat and we knew that they would need us. Mother lived to be 90 years old, and daddy was 93 when he died."
Black Mountain

Fox still lives in the 1927 Montgomery Ward pre-fabricated home she and Joe bought when they moved to Black Mountain.

"I wouldn't live any where else," she said. "This is home. Joe liked Black Mountain so much he wouldn't even go on a vacation."

Harry and Katharine Petrequin visited the Foxes in Black Mountain and wound up buying a home there. Harry and Joe served in Vietnam together.

"Gay is a loving, thoughtful, and considerate person," Harry said. "She is the greatest neighbor you could ever hope for. I am always amazed at what all she is involved in."

From 1981 to 1985, she served two terms on the Black Mountain Board of Aldermen with Carl Bartlett, Michael Begley, Charles King, and Douglas Stafford. Tom Sobol served as mayor.

"I made a lot of friends, and some enemies, but I would do it all again," Fox said. "While I served as alderman we worked hard and accomplished a lot. Some of our best achievements include getting a professional recreation department and a director, affirmative action, personnel policy, credit union, and we rescued Lake Tomahawk."

Bartlett, now mayor, said Fox's passion was infectious.

"I don't always agree with her, but she never got mad, and often looked at ways to change her view point," he said. "She was always concerned about getting a better quality of life for others. There is not a selfish bone in the woman's body."

Former alderman Mary Leonard White has worked with Fox since the mid-‘90s on issues such as the chaplaincy committee at the women's prison.

"She knows how to be kind and charitable in her personal life, and she also knows how to be kind and charitable in a bigger way," White said. "She is so much fun to be around, and always positive. She gets people to communicating, because they share respect and caring for Gay."

Monroe Gilmour met Fox in 1968 when his mother told him a friend needed help moving some beds.

"Gay was taking old-style metal bunk beds to a family out in North Fork Valley that needed them," Gilmour said. "Forty-three years later she is still in that same high gear. Moving fast, doing things to make life better for others.

"Gay has been a role model and mentor all these years. And at 90, she seems just the same to me as in 1968. ‘Come on, Monroe, we can make this happen.' And off she goes, bringing people together to, indeed, make whatever it is happen. Would every town could have a Gay Fox."

Fox was also instrumental in helping convert the old town hall building into the Black Mountain Center for the Arts.

"I live with faith, hope, and lots of charity every day," she said.

When asked how it feels to be 90 years old, the energetic, community-involved woman says, "Like it did to be 80, 70, and even 60. I eat right, and get lots of exercise, and stay involved."

Links to Related Topics (Tags):

Headlines: August, 2009; Peace Corps Malaysia; Directory of Malaysia RPCVs; Messages and Announcements for Malaysia RPCVs

When this story was posted in November 2010, this was on the front page of PCOL:

Peace Corps Online The Independent News Forum serving Returned Peace Corps Volunteers RSS Feed

Site Index Search PCOL with Google Contact PCOL Recent Posts Bulletin Board Open Discussion RPCV Directory Register

Support Independent Funding for the Third Goal Date: November 9 2010 No: 1460 Support Independent Funding for the Third Goal
The Peace Corps has always neglected the third goal, allocating less than 1% of their resources to "bringing the world back home." Senator Dodd addressed this issue in the "Peace Corps for the 21st Century" bill passed by the US Senate and Peace Corps Director Ron Tschetter proposed a "Peace Corps Foundation" at no cost to the US government. Both are good approaches but the recent "Comprehensive Assessment Report" didn't address the issue of independent funding for the third goal at all.

Nov 8, 2010: The 50th Begins Date: November 9 2010 No: 1457 Nov 8, 2010: The 50th Begins
University of Michigan commemorates 50th 16 Oct
Wittenberg University also has claim on 50th 31 Oct
Historical Marker Unveiled to Celebrate 50th 15 Oct
Directors Discuss Impact of Service 13 Oct
Mary Morgan writes: Some thoughts on the 50th 16 Oct
Colombia I Holds Reunion at Rutgers 31 Oct
Remembering the Early Program in Ghana 23 Oct
George Packer writes: Meaning of the Mid-Terms 2 Nov
Steve Driehaus Defeated for re-election 2 Nov
Michelle Obama's Uncle was PCV in India 1 Nov
Chic Dambach writes "Exhaust the Limits" 31 Oct
Alrick Brown Directs Documentary on Rwanda 31 Oct
Rajeev Goyal writes: Obama Does Nothing for Peace Corps 31 Oct
Dr. Paul Frommer Created Language for 'Avatar' 20 Oct
Cy Kukenbaker Directs Movie about Soccer in Malawi 15 Oct
Peace Corps has no Institutional Memory 14 Oct
Kristof and Stacia Nordin demonstrate permaculture in Malawi 9 Oct
Volunteer Stephanie Chance dies in Niger 8 Oct
Peace Corps volunteer Census hits 40-year high 4 Oct
Malaysia PM wants Peace Corps to Return 25 Sep
Volunteer Thomas Maresco Murdered in Lesotho 4 Sep
Johnathan Miller launchs Airborne Lifeline 26 Aug

July 20, 2010: Nita Lowey Pushes Expansion Date: July 24 2010 No: 1447 July 20, 2010: Nita Lowey Pushes Expansion
Nita Lowey pushes $46.15 million PC funding increase 1 Jul
Anne Goddard helps lead ChildFund 12 Jul
PCVs Safe after bombing in Uganda 12 Jul
PCVs Evacuated from Northern Burkina Faso 7 Jul
Ben Masters promotes bamboo bicycles 6 Jul
Danny Dunbar is a fan of Brazil soccer 2 Jul
Christopher Hill leaves Iraq Embassy For Academia 2 Jul
NPCA holds YouTube contest 2 Jul
Larry Palmer nominated as Ambassador to Venezuela 30 Jun
Laurence Leamer writes: America Looks Like a Fortress 29 Jun
Ed Reed writes: Troops' service in Korea not in vain 28 Jun
Mary-Denise Tabar finishes tour in Iraq 24 Jun
Carrie Hessler-Radelet Sworn in as PC Deputy Director 24 Jun
PC Releases Comprehensive Agency Assessment Report 22 Jun
Michael Burden writes: The dilemma on your dinner plate 18 Jun
Safety at risk for Peace Corps volunteers? 17 Jun
PCVs in Southern Kyrgyzstan evacuated safely 15 Jun
Steve Harpt helps dropouts reconstruct their lives 11 Jun
Biden Meets with Peace Corps/Kenya Volunteers 11 Jun
19 Americans Sworn-in as PCVs in Indonesia 4 Jun
PC Celebrates Volunteers Return to Sierra Leone 3 Jun
John Coté makes cross-country walk for US Troops 16 May

Memo to Incoming Director Williams Date: August 24 2009 No: 1419 Memo to Incoming Director Williams
PCOL has asked five prominent RPCVs and Staff to write a memo on the most important issues facing the Peace Corps today. Issues raised include the independence of the Peace Corps, political appointments at the agency, revitalizing the five-year rule, lowering the ET rate, empowering volunteers, removing financial barriers to service, increasing the agency's budget, reducing costs, and making the Peace Corps bureaucracy more efficient and responsive. Latest: Greetings from Director Williams

Join Us Mr. President! Date: June 26 2009 No: 1380 Join Us Mr. President!
"We will double the size of the Peace Corps by its 50th anniversary in 2011. And we'll reach out to other nations to engage their young people in similar programs, so that we work side by side to take on the common challenges that confront all humanity," said Barack Obama during his campaign. Returned Volunteers rally and and march to the White House to support a bold new Peace Corps for a new age. Latest: Senator Dodd introduces Peace Corps Improvement and Expansion Act of 2009 .

Read the stories and leave your comments.

Some postings on Peace Corps Online are provided to the individual members of this group without permission of the copyright owner for the non-profit purposes of criticism, comment, education, scholarship, and research under the "Fair Use" provisions of U.S. Government copyright laws and they may not be distributed further without permission of the copyright owner. Peace Corps Online does not vouch for the accuracy of the content of the postings, which is the sole responsibility of the copyright holder.

Story Source: Citizen Times

This story has been posted in the following forums: : Headlines; COS - Malaysia

PCOL45899

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: