|By Admin1 (admin) on Wednesday, July 04, 2001 - 7:22 pm: Edit Post|
Ten Things to do in Moldova
Ten Things to do in Moldova
Ok everyone, pull out your maps of Europe. Did you find Romania? Keep moving your finger to the right, ok now your in the Ukraine. YOU'VE GONE TO FAR! Move a little to the left. Yep that tiny sliver trapped there in the middle is Moldova. Now that you've found this former Soviet Republic, what can you do there.
1. Go to Old Orhei and visit the monestary in a cave (it's really cool they even have little square windows cut all through the cave and seperate chambers for sleeping and worshipping).
2. Go way up north to Soroca and see the castle.
3. Go to Ribnita and see Lenin (he's still alive and well)
4. Stumble into any village (especially in Autumn) and yell out "So when's HRAM" the biggest pig fest you'll ever encounter (kind of house to house "pub crawl" of drinking and eating)
5. Hear the Snails (retro 60's group, but really good) play at the Black Elephant
6. Have the strangest looking ice cream cone in the Chisinau park (where the heads of all soviet celebs are.
7. Yet again, stumble into any village and ask when the wedding is (They love foreigners). Be prepared for an ALL night affair of drinking, eating, dancing the hora and forced kissing while encircled by guests. Sometimes these weddings (if truly village) last for several days.
8. Have a really great (traditionally Moldovan/Russian) meal at Old City.
9. Ask a villager (starting to notice there are a lot of villages here) to give you a ride in a caruta (a kind of horse drawn cart). Some of the scenery is really beautiful (especially in the Hincesti region)
10. If you're lucky, on May 1 you can catch a cool "Salute to Lenin" parade, but they call it "Worker's Solidarity".
The United States Embassy has issued a travel warning for Americans visiting the country that they might meet with hostility. Personally I have never met more passive people (even they admit this) and never encountered anything hostile whatsoever, except for a cold stare, but they do that to everyone (smiling in public is impolite).
|By Anonymous (64-252-106-95.adsl.snet.net - 220.127.116.11) on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:30 pm: Edit Post|
Hey Kooky, funny you should mention "The Snails" I know two of the members thanks for the mention although I dont know how may rock groups there are in Chisnau. It IS a big city. How did I meet them? In London, before they came back to Moldova
|By patti (64-252-106-95.adsl.snet.net - 18.104.22.168) on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:26 pm: Edit Post|
Hey Kooky, Funny you should mention 'The Snails" Im friends with 2 members, met them in London before they went back to Moldova. Of course not sure how many rock bands in CHisnau it IS a big city. Thanks for the mention, I almost actually went to Moldova it would have been a great experience thats for sure.