2010.06.29: June 29, 2010: Erica McMahon spent nearly three years in the dusty urban environs of the post Soviet nation of Kazakhstan as a Peace Corps volunteer

Peace Corps Online: Directory: Kazakstan : Peace Corps Kazakhstan : Peace Corps Kazakstan: Newest Stories: 2010.06.29: June 29, 2010: Erica McMahon spent nearly three years in the dusty urban environs of the post Soviet nation of Kazakhstan as a Peace Corps volunteer

By Admin1 (admin) (98.188.147.225) on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 10:51 am: Edit Post

Erica McMahon spent nearly three years in the dusty urban environs of the post Soviet nation of Kazakhstan as a Peace Corps volunteer

Erica McMahon spent nearly three years in the dusty urban environs of the post Soviet nation of Kazakhstan as a Peace Corps volunteer

As one of three African American Peace Corps volunteers in Kazakhstan, Erica thinks it's a shame that more black people don't volunteer. "More African Americans should do the Peace Corps because it helps improve our [African American] image abroad," she said. "I can't tell you how many people think they can only talk to me about Akon or .50 Cent, or that I know drug dealers. "As a people we need to get on the globalization train and learn about other cultures and other languages. It will help you appreciate and love America that a lot of African Americans have a hard time doing in my opinion. And there are so many countries in this world that have their own version of mistreated underrepresented peoples. It's really interesting to learn about what they did or are still doing to overcome, and about how we are similar and different." For this Zeta, life in Kazakhstan will pay off when she gets back to the United States in a year and a half. "When I return to America, I plan on joining a Zeta graduate chapter again. The technical skills I learned during training such as grant writing, different community assessment tools, and language will definitely be useful. But also I hope that I can bring a unique perceptive on approaching challenges to my chapter. I can't wait to serve Zeta and my community in America again." So if you're in Kazakhstan anytime in the next year, look up Erica. She's holding it down for Black Greeks in central Asia.

The Z in Kazakhstan stands for Zeta

June 29, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Erica McMahon

I've met Black Greeks pretty much everywhere I've traveled. Whether they were chilling in Toronto, living on an ashram in Accra, Ghana, or serving beer in a London pub, I'm never surprised. But Black Greeks in Kazakhstan? What the...?

Meet Erica McMahon, Syracuse grad and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority soror, who ditched her lucrative career as a diversity recruiter for the financial services firm Credit Suisse, in order to spend nearly three years in the dusty urban environs of the post Soviet nation of Kazakhstan as a Peace Corps volunteer. Why the Peace Corps? That option came up as a 25-year old Erica began reevaluating her life.

"At the time I had no idea that I was on a path to Peace Corps," she remembers. "I was working on getting transferred at my company to either the London or Singapore office. I wanted to see the world through the eyes of corporate America. [But] as the markets turned, people were being laid off and transfers were frozen, I felt stuck."

It was time for her to talk to her mentors about moving forward. And that's when becoming a Peace Corps volunteer began to make sense.

"The three things that I would say put me on a path to Peace Corps are my wanting to travel and help people; becoming a born again Christian in 2006; and having a wonderful professional career counselor for over four years."

Yet, none of this convinced Erica that the Peace Corps was ultimately the right decision to make. Being a Peace Corps volunteer meant leaving everything behind for over two years. Other than the monthly stipend you receive, and that's based on the local economy of your assignment, you're literally leaving friends and family behind. The Peace Corps requires dedication, and it took prayer, her mother's words and a Peace Corps vet to seal the deal.

"[When] it was suggested that I think about Peace Corps. I was totally against it. I didn't want to live in a hut, with no toilet or shower. I wanted a posh lifestyle like all NYC girls," she laughs. "[But] God and my mother slowly changed my mind. I began to do research, however there was no one in my circle who did Peace Corps. Luckily a friend of a friend introduced me to someone who served in Haiti. Once I spoke with him and went to a few Peace Corps informational, I was sold. And I've never looked back."

Never looking back meant heading to Kazakhstan, the ninth largest country in the world in terms of area, located on the Caspian Sea, and surrounded by Russia and Turkmenistan. The population of 17 million Kazaks and Russians live on the steppe and in urban centers, where Erica is stationed. Erica wanted an Asian assignment in order to get a new experience, and in Kazakhstan, she spends her days teaching English to local residents. But as a Peace Corps volunteer, you're expected to do much more than be a single tasker.

"I also co-manage and women's club, conversation club, and grammar club at the local library. I also conduct teacher trainings, and hold seminars of various topics, for example in February I hosted a Black History Month Seminar Series."

And even though the Peace Corps doesn't require you to learn the local language, she's picked up enough Russian to be conversational. One thing she had to get used to was the word for black person in Russian.

"For one the word for black person in Russian is "Neh-Ger", which sounds exactly like nigger. I was warned before I came, and although most people who say that word have no idea what it means to an African American, it still stings every time I hear it," Erica said. "Also, you always stand out! Most of the white or Asian volunteers can pass as Russian or Kazakh, however I can never blend in. Therefore people are always looking and staring at me because most have never seen a black person before. It takes a while to get used to."

As one of three African American Peace Corps volunteers in Kazakhstan, Erica thinks it's a shame that more black people don't volunteer.

"More African Americans should do the Peace Corps because it helps improve our [African American] image abroad," she said. "I can't tell you how many people think they can only talk to me about Akon or .50 Cent, or that I know drug dealers.

"As a people we need to get on the globalization train and learn about other cultures and other languages. It will help you appreciate and love America that a lot of African Americans have a hard time doing in my opinion. And there are so many countries in this world that have their own version of mistreated underrepresented peoples. It's really interesting to learn about what they did or are still doing to overcome, and about how we are similar and different."

For this Zeta, life in Kazakhstan will pay off when she gets back to the United States in a year and a half.

"When I return to America, I plan on joining a Zeta graduate chapter again. The technical skills I learned during training such as grant writing, different community assessment tools, and language will definitely be useful. But also I hope that I can bring a unique perceptive on approaching challenges to my chapter. I can't wait to serve Zeta and my community in America again."

So if you're in Kazakhstan anytime in the next year, look up Erica. She's holding it down for Black Greeks in central Asia.

Links to Related Topics (Tags):

Headlines: June, 2010; Peace Corps Kazakhstan; Directory of Kazakhstan RPCVs; Messages and Announcements for Kazakhstan RPCVs; African American Issues

When this story was posted in December 2010, this was on the front page of PCOL:

Peace Corps Online The Independent News Forum serving Returned Peace Corps Volunteers RSS Feed

Site Index Search PCOL with Google Contact PCOL Recent Posts Bulletin Board Open Discussion RPCV Directory Register

Support Independent Funding for the Third Goal Date: November 9 2010 No: 1460 Support Independent Funding for the Third Goal
The Peace Corps has always neglected the third goal, allocating less than 1% of their resources to "bringing the world back home." Senator Dodd addressed this issue in the "Peace Corps for the 21st Century" bill passed by the US Senate and Peace Corps Director Ron Tschetter proposed a "Peace Corps Foundation" at no cost to the US government. Both are good approaches but the recent "Comprehensive Assessment Report" didn't address the issue of independent funding for the third goal at all.

Nov 8, 2010: The 50th Begins Date: November 9 2010 No: 1457 Nov 8, 2010: The 50th Begins
University of Michigan commemorates 50th 16 Oct
Wittenberg University also has claim on 50th 31 Oct
Historical Marker Unveiled to Celebrate 50th 15 Oct
Directors Discuss Impact of Service 13 Oct
Mary Morgan writes: Some thoughts on the 50th 16 Oct
Colombia I Holds Reunion at Rutgers 31 Oct
Remembering the Early Program in Ghana 23 Oct
George Packer writes: Meaning of the Mid-Terms 2 Nov
Steve Driehaus Defeated for re-election 2 Nov
Michelle Obama's Uncle was PCV in India 1 Nov
Chic Dambach writes "Exhaust the Limits" 31 Oct
Alrick Brown Directs Documentary on Rwanda 31 Oct
Rajeev Goyal writes: Obama Does Nothing for Peace Corps 31 Oct
Dr. Paul Frommer Created Language for 'Avatar' 20 Oct
Cy Kukenbaker Directs Movie about Soccer in Malawi 15 Oct
Peace Corps has no Institutional Memory 14 Oct
Kristof and Stacia Nordin demonstrate permaculture in Malawi 9 Oct
Volunteer Stephanie Chance dies in Niger 8 Oct
Peace Corps volunteer Census hits 40-year high 4 Oct
Malaysia PM wants Peace Corps to Return 25 Sep
Volunteer Thomas Maresco Murdered in Lesotho 4 Sep
Johnathan Miller launchs Airborne Lifeline 26 Aug

July 20, 2010: Nita Lowey Pushes Expansion Date: July 24 2010 No: 1447 July 20, 2010: Nita Lowey Pushes Expansion
Nita Lowey pushes $46.15 million PC funding increase 1 Jul
Anne Goddard helps lead ChildFund 12 Jul
PCVs Safe after bombing in Uganda 12 Jul
PCVs Evacuated from Northern Burkina Faso 7 Jul
Ben Masters promotes bamboo bicycles 6 Jul
Danny Dunbar is a fan of Brazil soccer 2 Jul
Christopher Hill leaves Iraq Embassy For Academia 2 Jul
NPCA holds YouTube contest 2 Jul
Larry Palmer nominated as Ambassador to Venezuela 30 Jun
Laurence Leamer writes: America Looks Like a Fortress 29 Jun
Ed Reed writes: Troops' service in Korea not in vain 28 Jun
Mary-Denise Tabar finishes tour in Iraq 24 Jun
Carrie Hessler-Radelet Sworn in as PC Deputy Director 24 Jun
PC Releases Comprehensive Agency Assessment Report 22 Jun
Michael Burden writes: The dilemma on your dinner plate 18 Jun
Safety at risk for Peace Corps volunteers? 17 Jun
PCVs in Southern Kyrgyzstan evacuated safely 15 Jun
Steve Harpt helps dropouts reconstruct their lives 11 Jun
Biden Meets with Peace Corps/Kenya Volunteers 11 Jun
19 Americans Sworn-in as PCVs in Indonesia 4 Jun
PC Celebrates Volunteers Return to Sierra Leone 3 Jun
John Coté makes cross-country walk for US Troops 16 May

Memo to Incoming Director Williams Date: August 24 2009 No: 1419 Memo to Incoming Director Williams
PCOL has asked five prominent RPCVs and Staff to write a memo on the most important issues facing the Peace Corps today. Issues raised include the independence of the Peace Corps, political appointments at the agency, revitalizing the five-year rule, lowering the ET rate, empowering volunteers, removing financial barriers to service, increasing the agency's budget, reducing costs, and making the Peace Corps bureaucracy more efficient and responsive. Latest: Greetings from Director Williams

Join Us Mr. President! Date: June 26 2009 No: 1380 Join Us Mr. President!
"We will double the size of the Peace Corps by its 50th anniversary in 2011. And we'll reach out to other nations to engage their young people in similar programs, so that we work side by side to take on the common challenges that confront all humanity," said Barack Obama during his campaign. Returned Volunteers rally and and march to the White House to support a bold new Peace Corps for a new age. Latest: Senator Dodd introduces Peace Corps Improvement and Expansion Act of 2009 .

Read the stories and leave your comments.

Some postings on Peace Corps Online are provided to the individual members of this group without permission of the copyright owner for the non-profit purposes of criticism, comment, education, scholarship, and research under the "Fair Use" provisions of U.S. Government copyright laws and they may not be distributed further without permission of the copyright owner. Peace Corps Online does not vouch for the accuracy of the content of the postings, which is the sole responsibility of the copyright holder.

Story Source: The root

This story has been posted in the following forums: : Headlines; COS - Kazakhstan; African American Issues

PCOL45764

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: