October 23, 2003 - Barometer: K.C. Frederic plans to pursue Peace Corps

Peace Corps Online: State: Oregon: October 23, 2003 - Barometer: K.C. Frederic plans to pursue Peace Corps

By Admin1 (admin) (pool-151-196-110-177.balt.east.verizon.net - 151.196.110.177) on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 2:19 pm: Edit Post

K.C. Frederic plans to pursue Peace Corps

K.C. Frederic plans to pursue Peace Corps

Gaining more than experience

Volleyball star gains more than friendship, volunteering

by Tasha Rassuli
Barometer Sports Editor

Senior libero K.C. Frederic currently leads Oregon State's volleyball team with 62 digs in the Beavers last four matches. Frederic, who plans on entering the Peace Corp after graduation, has been volunteering with the English Language Institute to gain experience for her future.
OSU Sports Information Photo

It was as simple as that.

Two years ago K.C. Frederic was returning home to Corvallis, from the Portland Airport.

After the ride to her apartment fell through, Frederic was offered a ride by a stranger. At the time she didn't realize that a door into her future was being opened.

As the lady graciously drove her back to her apartment, the two stumbled across a common interest. It just so happened that the stranger had worked for the Peace Corps, an organization that Frederic was fascinated with.

Since her high school days, the senior libero for Oregon State's volleyball team, had always wanted to pursue her dream of working for this prestigious organization.

Founded in 1961, the agency began as a way for people to travel to over 136 countries around the world and work on issues ranging from AIDS education and information technology to environmental preservation.

"It's always been something I've planned on," Frederic said. "My parents think it's a little dangerous and are not happy about it, but it's just something I always knew I wanted to do."

Frederic informed the lady that after she finished college, joining the Peace Corps was something she was looking forward to doing. However, due to her dedication to the OSU volleyball team, she was worried that because of her time constraints, she might be missing out on valuable experience to prepare her for the application process.

Without hesitation, the lady gave her advice on how to get involved with the English Language Institute on campus.

"What she had done was get involved with ELI and became a conversant," Frederic said.

Frederic not only took the advice seriously, she followed through with it.

Right away, she got involved with ELI and became a conversant.

"Being a conversant, I meet with foreign exchange students who are studying here," Frederic said. "Right now I'm meeting with a girl named Stellar and she's from Taiwan."

For the past two years, Stellar and Frederic have been getting together on a weekly basis to help Stellar become stronger in her English language skills.

"I just meet with her once a week for an hour," Frederic said. "We talk about what's going on with our lives."

With this school year marking the second year the two have been meeting, they have managed to develop a strong friendship and have influenced each other's lives in a variety of ways.

"We talk a lot about our families and the differences between here and there," Frederic said. "She's tried to teach me Chinese, but it's funny because it's hard and she laughs at me."

Last Friday when the Beavers faced Washington State, not only did Frederic and the rest of the OSU volleyball squad pickup a 3-1 win over the Cougars, but it marked the first time Stellar was able to see Frederic play in a game.

"She had a good time," Frederic said. "When I met with her she was asking questions about how things go, she had lot's of questions."

It happened to be a significant game for Frederic. She had a season-high 20 digs against WSU.

The Beavers have now moved into first place in the Pac-10 for digs and Frederic's recent defensive play has been a major factor.

So not only did Stellar get to see Frederic play, she was also able to see what an asset Frederic has been for the team.

"She said how much she liked it," Frederic said. "She wants to come to another game."

Once the season ends this term, Frederic will say goodbye to the volleyball court and open herself up to a new world. In January she has plans to go abroad to Ecuador, in order to study Spanish.

"Working with ELI has kind of given me the courage to do it," Frederic said. "Sometimes (being a foreigner) your're not courageous to speak up because you don't want to mess up, but it's given me confidence because I'm leaving."

As far as Frederic's career goes, the Peace Corps is still something she plans to pursue.

In the future, with a degree in International Business and her time logged with the Peace Corps Frederic plans on using her degree to take her overseas.

"I feel like having all these opportunities and experiences will open a lot of doors for me and maybe I'll find something that I really do love," Frederic said. "Right now my desires are to travel and I think when I graduate with an International Business degree it will give me a broad sense of how companies work and with the international aspects it gives me the chance to travel to different places."

Ultimately, it is not just Frederic's role on the court that has had an impact, but it has been her performance off the court as well. Both avenues have helped her to prepare for the future: And both have not only affected her own life but the lives of others.

And although the impact of these instances can never fully be measured, they have succeeded in making these experiences that much more significant.

Tasha Rassuli is the sports editor of The Daily Barometer. She can be reached at baro.sports@studentmedia.orst .edu.

Some postings on Peace Corps Online are provided to the individual members of this group without permission of the copyright owner for the non-profit purposes of criticism, comment, education, scholarship, and research under the "Fair Use" provisions of U.S. Government copyright laws and they may not be distributed further without permission of the copyright owner. Peace Corps Online does not vouch for the accuracy of the content of the postings, which is the sole responsibility of the copyright holder.

Story Source: Barometer

This story has been posted in the following forums: : Headlines; Recruitment

PCOL8267

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: