|By Margot Hoerrner (dsl092-150-003.wdc2.dsl.speakeasy.net - 188.8.131.52) on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:23 am: Edit Post|
FRIENDS OF THE WORLD FOOD PROGRAM
POSITION TITLE: World Food Program Committee Coordinator for Minnesota (Volunteer)
REPORTS TO: Director, Outreach and Community Partnerships
OVERALL POSITION DESCRIPTION: Friends of the World Food Program, a non-profit organization focused on global hunger alleviation in support of the United Nations World Food Program (WFP), is implementing a new, grassroots, state-based outreach campaign, to be piloted in four states. We are seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, natural-born organizer to fill the position of WFP Committee Coordinator. The Coordinator’s primary responsibility will be to serve as the in-state leader and organizer of volunteer activities, working in support of the United Nations World Food Program.
• Establish and lead your state’s WFP Committee, representing WFP interests and working in support of the campaign to end global hunger
• Recruit volunteers and organizations in your state to get involved in the fight against hunger
• Maintain database of volunteer contacts in your state
• Implement one community-based activity per month (suggested), drawn from our calendar of volunteer activities, which may include:
* Candlelight vigils
* Letter writing campaigns
* Educational presentations
* Organizing, leading and/or participating in delegations to visit your Senators and Congressman
• Keep Friends of WFP’s Outreach Department informed of your activities, successes, and challenges – we are here to support you!
The ideal applicant will be a well-spoken, dynamic, natural-born organizer – the type of person who others look to as a leader and organizer in their personal or professional lives. S/He will have an interest in (or interest in learning about) the issue of global hunger, the work of WFP, international development, food security, and the legislative process. Other skills: extremely resourceful; able to accomplish much with little; strong networking and interpersonal skills – able to communicate well among a broad spectrum of people; experience in organizing people and events.
Our goal is to work with you as closely as needed, to ensure your success. We will be available to answer questions, provide resources and training, and whatever else you need which may include:
• Educational/training conference calls on relevant and suggested subjects;
• Written materials, reports, brochures, branded materials, etc;
• Communications support such as press releases, online volunteer registration, media training, talking points, scripts, media contacts, editing, sample documents, and coverage of activities in our international newsletter, “Food for Thought”;
• Fundraising support, such as sample letters for cash or in-kind donations, facilitating introductions with existing in-state donors for your fundraising needs, and in-house contact for fundraising questions and issues;
• Volunteer contacts who have expressed an interest in participating in your state’s WFP Committee;
• Contact with your local United Nations Association (UNA) chapter, which serves to raise awareness about the work of the UN. This chapter will be a tremendous resource for the WFP Committee Coordinator.
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. As a goodwill gesture, each WFP Committee Coordinator, and a guest, will be invited as a special guest at our 2008 Annual Awards Ceremony in Washington DC, honoring leaders in the fight against hunger. Past recipients have included former world-record holder of the marathon Kenyan runner Paul Tergat, Marie Claire Magazine, and U.S. Senator Tom Harkin.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org , with “WFP Committee Coordinator - Minnesota” as the subject header or fax to Margot Hoerrner, at (202) 530-1698. Application deadline: until position has been filled.
Friends of the World Food Program is an Equal Opportunity Employer.