Gaddi Vasquez: Archived Stories
Peace Corps Online:
Peace Corps News:
Directors of the Peace Corps:
Peace Corps Director Gaddi Vasquez:
Gaddi Vasquez: Archived Stories
Peace Corps: Gaddi Vasquez
- February 23, 2006: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: Elections2000 - Bush: Campaign Finance: Wikipedia: In 2000, Gaddi Vasquez rolled over $100,000 from his Campaign Committee to the Republican National State Elections Committee in California Friday, February 24, 2006 - 6:27 pm 
- December 1, 2005: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: AIDS: HIV: PRNewswire: Bush recognizes Director Vasquez on World AIDS Day Monday, December 05, 2005 - 9:33 pm 
- November 15, 2005: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: Diversity: Monitor: Peace Corps director touts diversity Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 10:16 am 
- August 31, 2005: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: Public Diplomacy: COS - Morocco: COS - Tanzania: COS - Madagascar: US Info: Vasquez is still energized by his visit to Africa -- the fifth since President Bush named him director more than three years ago Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 10:05 am 
- June 3, 2005: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: Politics: Personal Web Site: hack n flak says: I should also add that I have heard that a number of folks are urging former OC Supervisor Gaddi Vasquez, now Director of the Peace Corps, to "come home" and throw his hat in the ring. Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 1:28 am 
- June 20, 2005: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: National Journal: During Gaddi Vasquez's tenure, the agency has undergone a budgetary and programmatic expansion as Vasquez, in the words of Chief of Staff Marie Wheat, employs one of his best assets: his "ability to articulate where he wants the agency to go and how he wants to get there. That's the kind of no-nonsense kind of guy he is." Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 6:27 am 
- June 16, 2005: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: Presidents - Bush: White House Press Office: George Bush recognizes Peace Corps Director at Natinal Hispanic Prayer Breakfast: "Gaddi Vasquez is the Director of the Peace Corps" Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 6:01 am 
- May 4, 2005: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: Politics: Hispanic Issues: U.S. Newswire: RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman Announces Gaddi Vasquez on Hispanic Advisory Committee Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 4:53 pm 
- April 28, 2005: Headlines: Figures: Directors - Vasquez: Quay County Sun: Gaddi Vasquez addresses Phi Theta Kappa alumni Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 1:31 pm 
- April 16, 2005: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: Religion: Christian Post: Peace Corps Director Gaddi Vasquez will join around 45,000 members and regular attendants of Lake Forest, Calif.’s Saddleback Church to celebrate the church’s 25th anniversary and the founding of the Purpose Driven Movement Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 7:04 pm 
- April 6, 2005: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: Daily Northwestern: Serving in the Peace Corps has its difficulties, but it's increasingly important in a needy world, Director Gaddi H. Vasquez said. "Here we sit today in 2005, realizing that if there was ever a time and place where we needed to be promoting global peace and friendship, it is now and it is today." Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 12:08 am 
- March 29, 2005: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: Fund Raising: Orange County Register: Albertsons received the inaugural National Founder's Award, presented by Peace Corps Director Gaddi Vasquez to Albertsons Food Division President and CEO Pete VanHelden Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 10:47 am 
- February 26, 2005: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: Orange County Register: Director Vasquez is keynote speaker at Mayor's Prayer Breakfast in Orange County Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 4:48 pm 
- January 23, 2005: Index: PCOL Exclusive: Peace Corps Directors - Vasquez (2 of 4) Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 7:49 pm 
- January 23, 2005: Index: PCOL Exclusive: Peace Corps Directors - Vasquez 3 of 4) Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 7:47 pm 
- January 23, 2005: Index: PCOL Exclusive: Peace Corps Directors - Vasquez (4 of 4) Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 7:46 pm 
- January 23, 2005: Index: PCOL Exclusive: Vasquez Nomination Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 7:45 pm 
- March 27, 2003: Headlines: Peace Corps Directors - Vasquez: LA Times: Director addresses students at Pomona College Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:25 am 
- March 25, 2003: Headlines: Peace Corps Directors - Vasquez: LA Times: Peace Corps Chief Is Prayer Breakfast Guest Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:24 am 
- August 1, 2002: Headlines: Peace Corps Directors - Vasquez: San Fransisco Examiner: Interview with Gaddi Vasquez Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:22 am 
- March 17, 2003: Headlines: Peace Corps Directors - Vasquez: Awards: Business Wire: Director Vasquez on panel of judges for HOPE Awards Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:21 am 
- January 10, 2005: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: Television: The Business Press: Gaddi Vasquez to appear on "Hispanic Lifestyle" Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 7:40 pm 
- December 5, 2004: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: Los Angeles Times: Los Angeles Times says: Gaddi H. Vasquez stepped down as Orange County supervisor in 1995, 15 months early, before the grand jury took action on his colleagues. He became a Southern California Edison executive and eventually resurrected his political career by being confirmed in January 2002 to head the Peace Corps; he recently left that post. Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 8:26 pm 
- December 28, 2004: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: Hispanic Issues: Munster Times: Peace Corps Director Gaddi Vasquez addressed the 22nd National Conference of the United States Hispanic Leadership Institute (USHLI) at the Hyatt Regency in Chicago Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 4:21 pm 
- December 21, 2004: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: UW Madison: Transcript of Mid-Year Commencement Address by U.S. Peace Corps Director Gaddi Vasquez Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 10:16 pm 
- December 14, 2004: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: Honolulu Advertiser: Peace Corps director sees resurgent interest Friday, December 17, 2004 - 8:36 pm 
- December 14, 2004: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: University of Wisconsin: To arrange an interview with the commencement speaker, Peace Corps director Gaddi Vasquez, please contact Lucas Friday, December 17, 2004 - 8:35 pm 
- December 17, 2004: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: Recruitment: Peace Corps: Peace Corps Director asks College Graduates to volunteer at Commencements at Chaminade and University of Wisconsin Friday, December 17, 2004 - 8:30 pm 
- December 6, 2004: Headlines: Directors - Vasquez: Chaminade University: Gaddi H. Vasquez, Director of the U.S. Peace Corps, is the Fall 2004 Commencement Ceremony speaker for Chaminade University of Honolulu on December 13 Friday, December 10, 2004 - 8:32 pm 
- November 15, 2004: Headlines: Peace Corps Directors - Vasquez: Education: Peace Corps: Peace Corps Director Kicks-Off International Education Week Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 2:27 pm 
- October 14, 2004: Headlines: Peace Corps Directors - Vasquez: Expansion: Safety and Security of PCVs: Journalism: Television: VOA News: Vasquez tells National Press Club that Peace Corps now works in 18 Muslim countries and that 27 additional countries have requested a Peace Corps presence including 13 Muslim countries Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 11:03 pm 
- October 8, 2004: Headlines: Peace Corps Directors - Vasquez: Islamic Issues: Peace Corps: Peace Corps Director to Speak at National Press Club in DC on Thursday, October 14 about Peace Corps Volunteers Serving in Muslim Countries Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 1:54 pm 
- September 15, 2004: Headlines: Peace Corps Directors - Vasquez: White House: Gaddi Vasquez at White House of Hispanic Heritage Month Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 1:48 pm 
- June 30, 2004: Headlines: Peace Corps Directors - Vasquez: Jewish Journal: Gaddi Vasquez keynotes at American Jewish Committee at Newport Beach Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 1:07 pm 
- August 3, 2004: Headlines: Peace Corps Directors - Vasquez: US Newswire: Peace Corps Director Gaddi Vasquez to speak at National Press Club on October 14 Friday, August 13, 2004 - 6:53 pm 
- Peace Corp for High School Students Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:24 pm 
- Gaddi Vasquez Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 1:07 pm 
Peace Corps Directors - Vasquez (1 of 4)
Peace Corps Directors - Vasquez (1 of 4)
When this story was posted in January 2005, this was on the front page of PCOL:
| Ask Not|
As our country prepares for the inauguration of a President, we remember one of the greatest speeches of the 20th century and how his words inspired us. "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."
| Latest: RPCVs and Peace Corps provide aid |
Peace Corps made an appeal last week to all Thailand RPCV's to consider serving again through the Crisis Corps and more than 30 RPCVs have responded so far. RPCVs: Read what an RPCV-led NGO is doing about the crisis an how one RPCV is headed for Sri Lanka to help a nation he grew to love. Question: Is Crisis Corps going to send RPCVs to India, Indonesia and nine other countries that need help?
| The World's Broken Promise to our Children|
Former Director Carol Bellamy, now head of Unicef, says that the appalling conditions endured today by half the world's children speak to a broken promise. Too many governments are doing worse than neglecting children -- they are making deliberate, informed choices that hurt children. Read her op-ed and Unicef's report on the State of the World's Children 2005.
| Our debt to Bill Moyers|
Former Peace Corps Deputy Director Bill Moyers leaves PBS next week to begin writing his memoir of Lyndon Baines Johnson. Read what Moyers says about journalism under fire, the value of a free press, and the yearning for democracy. "We have got to nurture the spirit of independent journalism in this country," he warns, "or we'll not save capitalism from its own excesses, and we'll not save democracy from its own inertia."
| Is Gaddi Leaving?|
Rumors are swirling that Peace Corps Director Vasquez may be leaving the administration. We think Director Vasquez has been doing a good job and if he decides to stay to the end of the administration, he could possibly have the same sort of impact as a Loret Ruppe Miller. If Vasquez has decided to leave, then Bob Taft, Peter McPherson, Chris Shays, or Jody Olsen would be good candidates to run the agency. Latest: For the record, Peace Corps has no comment on the rumors.
| The Birth of the Peace Corps|
UMBC's Shriver Center and the Maryland Returned Volunteers hosted Scott Stossel, biographer of Sargent Shriver, who spoke on the Birth of the Peace Corps. This is the second annual Peace Corps History series - last year's speaker was Peace Corps Director Jack Vaughn.
Read the stories and leave your comments.
Some postings on Peace Corps Online are provided to the individual members of this group without permission of the copyright owner for the non-profit purposes of criticism, comment, education, scholarship, and research under the "Fair Use" provisions of U.S. Government copyright laws and they may not be distributed further without permission of the copyright owner. Peace Corps Online does not vouch for the accuracy of the content of the postings, which is the sole responsibility of the copyright holder.
Story Source: PCOL Exclusive
This story has been posted in the following forums: : Index